1. Welcome to the #1 Gambling Community with the best minds across the entire gambling spectrum. REGISTER NOW!
  2. Have a gambling question?

Post it here and our gambling experts will answer it!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Discussions in this section are assumed to be EV- as they are outside of the Advantage Play section. For EV+ discussions, please visit the Advantage Play section.
    Dismiss Notice

Baccarat Baccarrat myths

Discussion in 'Baccarat Forum' started by Wizardofnothing, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Wizardofnothing

Wizardofnothing Well-Known Member

2. mightymike

mightymike Active Member Founding Member

thanks for posting this article. i just found this related paper from the same author:

------------
    Erroneous Perceptions of Chinese Baccarat Players: Evidence from Guidebooks

Abstract
    Baccarat, as the most popular gambling game, is also the one to which the majority of pathological gamblers who sought help are addicted in Macau. This paper documents the cognitive distortions of Chinese Baccarat gamblers from guidebooks written by five experienced Chinese gamblers. The analyses of their descriptions of Baccarat and their observations about other Chinese gamblers show that the objective of the vast majority of Chinese Baccarat players is to make quick money rather than view Baccarat as a form of entertainment. Further, cognitive distortions—such as the gambler’s fallacy, illusion of control, illusory correlation, interpretive bias, and availability of others’ wins—are pervasive. Some erroneous perceptions have Baccarat-specific representations, such as following trends, money management tricks, and following winners. These findings may contribute to prevention/awareness education and counseling services for pathological gamblers.
    ------------

i've attached the full paper to this post. interesting read as well.

3. Wizardofnothing

Wizardofnothing Well-Known Member

I've actually had serious conversations with HUGE players at the table while they were betting 10k or more a hand and could not convince them any different... When I play I never get off the banker and the Chinese people look at me like I'm nuts but it's the best bet.