1. Welcome to the #1 Gambling Community with the best minds across the entire gambling spectrum. REGISTER NOW!
  2. Have a gambling question?

Post it here and our gambling experts will answer it!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Discussions in this section are assumed to be EV- as they are outside of the Advantage Play section. For EV+ discussions, please visit the Advantage Play section.
    Dismiss Notice

Poker Book Review - "Pot-Limit & No-Limit Poker"

Discussion in 'Poker Forum' started by TEACH (AlSpath), Jan 31, 2015.

1. TEACH (AlSpath)

TEACH (AlSpath) Active Member Founding Member

Poker Instructor
    Pot-Limit & No-Limit Poker – By Stewart Reuben and Bob Ciaffone
    reviewed by Al Spath

(Covers Hold’em, Omaha, Seven Card Stud, LowBall Draw, and London LowBall)

While the attempt is valiant, I cannot recommend you rush out and purchase this book.
    With all poker books on the market today, you will find nuggets of gold and some authors offering excellent suggestions, tips and information to help your game, and this book is really no different, except that it lacks enough meat and potatoes to do anyone a great deal of good (in my opinion). I respect the authors greatly and know Bob personally, but after reviewing many industry poker books, this thin-nish book is not for everyone.

Personally having no interest in several sections of the book has influenced my opinion, however, in the areas where I do have an inquiring mind, I found the book to be a bit superficial. I was left wanting more coverage. At times I felt the book was more an overview of poker, and not tailored for the thirsty, avid poker enthusiasts of today’s game.

no limit money clip.jpg

However, one bit of good advice reminded us to use the “Five and Ten Rule.” Quoting: “When contemplating calling a raise because your position is good, you have a clear call if the amount is less than five percent of your stack, and a clear fold if it is more than ten percent. In between those numbers use your judgment.” Everyone looks for a gauge; here is one you could start using today.

This book can be purchased on-line or at major bookstores.

Tip: If ordering from any on-line book site, request the “seconds” or so-called, “slightly damaged” offerings. They are usually half the price and “possibly” the book has a crinkle in a cover of the cover, or one or two pages were accidentally dog-eared. There is nothing wrong with the book; it’s worth paying half the price for sure.