1. Welcome to the #1 Gambling Community with the best minds across the entire gambling spectrum. REGISTER NOW!
  2. Have a gambling question?

Post it here and our gambling experts will answer it!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Discussions in this section are assumed to be EV- as they are outside of the Advantage Play section. For EV+ discussions, please visit the Advantage Play section.
    Dismiss Notice

Poker Book Review - "White Knight, Black Nights …. Poker is Skill, Life is a Gamble"

Discussion in 'Poker Forum' started by TEACH (AlSpath), Jan 31, 2015.

1. TEACH (AlSpath)

TEACH (AlSpath) Active Member Founding Member

Poker Instructor
    White Knight, Black Nights …. Poker is Skill, Life is a Gamble - author Susie Isaacs
    (reviewed by Al Spath)

Success, failure, romance, marriage, divorce, restraining orders, sex tapes, sex, conspiracy, complicity, crimes of passion give a tiny glimpse inside the world of poker and leads the reader on a roller coaster journey of emotions in this unique and quite entertaining novel by 2 time World Series Of Poker , Susie Isaacs.

Ms. Isaacs’ three previous publications: “Queens Can Beat Kings,” “1000 Best Poker Strategies and Secrets,” and “MsPoker: I’m Not Bluffing (book 1 and book 2),” provided poker advice, insight, and useful strategy instructions as well as detailing the history of women in poker.

“White Knight, Black Nights” is quite a departure for this author, moving from providing readers everything they wanted to know about playing all forms of poker (and stories about other poker players), to the thrill a minute ride and intrigue that “Rachael” and “Dalton” Sommers experience as they go from strangers to lovers, from lovers to a happily married couple and then way, way beyond!

I started reading this novel with the impression it might not keep my attention due to the host of characters. Susie however thought of everything and provides the reader a “family tree type chart” (a bookmark of sorts), which is included with each book and once you sort out the interesting group of “deviants” she chose to write about, you accompany these two characters on a trek that makes you smile, keeps you guessing (what’s next), and then shocked at how “love” and “deceit” provide unparallel exhilaration and despair.

Readers will relate to both characters and at times will wonder how each could act the way they do. Regardless of the outcomes, it is fascinating to see how relationships are built, survive severe damage, and eventually rekindle or end. Of particular interest is the way the families and friends of both lead characters are developed and remain a focal point throughout the entire novel.

Although this is NOT a poker book, the main character (Rachel) and one of her brothers (Joshua, a top-notch professional poker player) involvement with the poker world adds just the right touch of realism to this already engaging book. By the way, I don’t think any Susie Isaacs book would be complete without a reference to Tom McEvoy (the 1983 WSOP Champion), and Tom does makes his appearance (albeit) briefly, and shows us once again how gracious and unassuming this gentleman can be with a gesture befitting him. For those not familiar with Tom McEvoy, it was Tom who proclaimed to me (although as I hear it straight from Susie, it was Jack McClelland among others who said it to her): “I am the best short-handed poker player in the world!” If you ask either of them, they will tell you: “because I have had more practice playing a short-stack than a big one.”

If you are heading for Aruba on vacation, off to ski the slopes in Aspen or just going to curl up by the fire place at home with a cozy blanket and a cup of delicious hot chocolate, you might want to make sure you have a copy of “White Knight, Black Nights,” as you surely won’t want to miss the adventure and crusade made by two intriguing characters and those who surround them.

Attached Files: