1. Welcome to the #1 Gambling Community with the best minds across the entire gambling spectrum. REGISTER NOW!
  2. Have a gambling question?

Post it here and our gambling experts will answer it!
    Dismiss Notice

Lounge ENGLAND/MUSIC/1970-75

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by LarryS, Oct 30, 2016.

1. LarryS

LarryS Compulsive Liar Compulsive Liar

I have a question for someone who is not thousands of miles away from the source as I am.....someone with boots on the ground.

From an american pont of view, I always thought the record companies here were always looking for the "next" beatles, or the next dylan, springstein, sex pistols, nirvana...whenever a "new flavor" appeared. Not alot of execs going out on a limb, introducing new sounds. Alot of copycat safe shit.

But in 1972ish, I would come home from school and there would be a 2 hour radio segment " things from england:" Jethro Tull, ELP, Yes, were already established,,,,but they would play groups like, Slade, Sparks, 10cc, T-rex, Roxy Music, Gary Glitter.....all sounds that were un like anything else.
    Then "punk" hit.....and everyone was in seach of the next sex pistols.

So my question. Do music lovers in England view that time period I talk about in this post as something special?? Or am I just just some dude thousands of miles away who is unaware of the music industry in england...and maybe better times have appeared since then

2. LarryS

PS--I realize sparks is an american band,,butthey needed the climate in England to get noticed there first...nd then came back home.

3. Turner

Turner Active Member

a post right up my street.

As a 10 year old in 1975 in England, your list Slade, Sparks, 10cc, T-rex, Roxy Music, Gary Glitter isnt far wrong for what was pumped out of the radio. Take sparks out and Roxy and add The Sweet, Wizzard and Bay City Rollers and you have it.

But....when I got to 15, I bought records and stopped listening to radio and became a fan of your other list....Jethro Tull, ELP, Yes with the addition of my major band of all my life, Genesis, 10 years later after it came out,

Funny. Dont think many mainstream folks knew any of that list.

You had 3 sources of music as a kid in the early 70s

1, Parents records (Carpenters, Stevie wonder, Top of the Pops "unoriginal artists")
    2, The radio
    3, Top of the pops on telly

Led zep and flloyd didnt really exist in the real world

When I was 14, a friend of my mum left "dark side of the moon" at our house. One day I played it on my own, and my head exploded.

But it was years after the albums were recorded.

4. LarryS

thanks for the response....
    Isnt it amazing that when you think of the names you and I mentioned....the diversity of the sound was amazing. None of them sounded the same.

From a distance, for me...that was like a golden age of rock music in England. It must have been amazing to be able to see those acts.
    I know alot of people talka bout the early 60s when the beatles hit the scene......but lets face it....there really is no difference between early Beatles, Dave Clark 5, Kinksfreddy and the Dreamers. Hermans Hermits.........But try to find anything similar about Tull, ELP. Yes. 10cc, slade. T-rex.

I didnt really like Roxy...but I bought one of their albums just for the cover picture back in the day.

Do people view that time as anything special? I know we all view the music that we grew up with a being "special". But I am talking about music historians or people that have been around. I cant recall a 5 year period like that in contemporary music in the united states. Nor even since then in the UK....I havent heard anything even close as far as that type of quantity and quality of diverse rock.

one of a kind acts......and so many of them.

It must have been a different climate withing the record companies in that short time frame....then something changed.

was it punk that homogenized the music. It would be ironic if it was. Being anti-establishment and all....

5. Junket King

Junket King Well-Known Member Compulsive Liar

ABR Complusive LIAR Management

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  6. Junket King

I just typed a response thinking you were referring to just 1972, gone back and read your post and seen that it covers 72 ~ 75, which kinda of changes things.

There was a hellva lot of dross being played on mainstream radio as well as being shown on Top of Pops, Benny Hill the fastest Milkman in the West, weeks at number 1 springs to mind.

I'm not a rock fan, so hard for me to comment, given the bands around at the time, Floyd, The Sweet, ELO, yeah maybe, why not, it's a period before disco took off, so I guess yes.

In the evening on AM you had the Pirate radio stations broadcasting from the North Sea, Radio Luxembourg and when I could get a signal US Forces radio from Germany, I loved the DJ's presenting their soul shows. I also loved getting hold of New York radio station tapes.

Well aware of Slade, T-Rex (their best years in 1972), Gary Glitter, David Bowie (who didn't peak in 1972 but probably did in the mid 70's with Spider from Mars). Sticky Fingers by the Stones came out in 71, the Beatles were finished, Lennon? Wings Band on the Run, 10cc both had their biggest hits in 1973. My answer is I guess so, but never heard of it being referred to as such, then again I didn't read music weeklies such as NME, Melody Maker.

The reason I guess so, is because I consider the early 70's, in particular 1974 as a pinnacle for Black American Music, it seems everybody peaked then, from James Brown, Herbie Hancock, Grover Washington, Isley's, O'Jay's, Ohio Players, EW&F, Chaka Khan, Isaac Hayes, War even Richard Pryor "is it something I said".

I think the early 70's will be looked back with fondness, because towards the end of that decade disco, studio 54 took off, which resulted in everybody eventually jumping on the disco bandwagon "disco duck", including the Rolling Stones early 81 "Start me up" and that song Jagger did with Bowie, Dancing in the street (awful). Once Saturday Night Fever came out, it was the beginning of the end. ("the beginning of the end" Funky Nassau 1972, brilliant). Then in the 80's it was all manufactured, like spandau ballet.

Here, not my scene, but something that springs to mind

7. Turner

Turner Active Member

JK has made me think

Sweet were rock. Overdrivven rock guitar, power chords, but the lyrics forced it to be pop.

You were quite happy to be rocked, followed by Benny Hill, followed by some rock and roll based 50's style Showaddywaddy and topped off with Pans peoples corny take on Get Down by Gilbert o'sullivan (unashamed pop)

73/74 was all over the place. TOTP could cover 6 different genres of music in 30 mins.

This video was really quite normal in England. Thats hard to believe now

I think Germany is still like this lol

8. Junket King

I mentioned them as they were the first band that sprang to mind. Showaddywaddy, oh dear, terrible looking back.

Loved that Pans People Vid, takes me back that, glued to the TV, eyes on stalks.

9. Mickey Crimm

Mickey Crimm Well-Known Member

I was a world away from you guys in the early 70's. I was a southern rocker.

Allman Brothers Band
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Marshall Tucker Band
    Black Oak Arkansas
    Molly Hatchet
    Outlaws
    Atlanta Rhythm Section
    Blackfoot

10. LarryS

that video brings back memories.....(The sweet)

the cool thing is that now, even though I didnt have the ability to see some of these artists at their height....I have been able to see solo acoustic versions of Graham Parker, Squeeze,....they still sound great.

But concerts have changed since the 70's......for the younger folk...canned music and canned vocals are not unusual...and its accepted.

I remember seeing The Who at Madison Square Garden.....around 1976-7 ish...and when I read the reviews they got hammered for using "canned music" for Baba Oreily......just that 30 second opening. There was no keyboard player.....but the song relies on that opening as its signature .

Now entire songs are pre-recorded vocally so that the singer can do do a dance routine.

there was actually a time when concert goers didnt expect dance routines, lazers, smoke...the music was enough......and the music was real

thanks to both that have contributed......it was nice to talk to someone who lived in that time because as a kid I wished I Lived in England just for what seemed so exciting to me involving the music.

There were times when I would have to pay extra for "import" albums..if I could find them in the record stores....in order to get what I wanted. Amazon didnt quite exsist in the early 70s.

11. LarryS

I remember Gilbert Osullivan..slow down that beginning.....of Get Down.....a little like Telegram Sam

12. Turner

Turner Active Member

73/74.......Good years for English Christmas classics like:

wish it could be christmas everyday - Wizzard
    merry christmas everyone - Slade
    lonely this christmas - Mud
    happy christmas(war is over) - lennon
    hey Mr christmas - showaddywaddy
    step into christmas - Elton John

Apologies for mentioning the "C" word in November

13. LarryS

thats why I asked the original question with the thought in mind that from where I stood, I might see things out of a different lens.
    I always felt that black music was peaking in the last 60'S to early 70's via Motown. The artists you mentioned did get some play.....but nothing like the Motown groups like Supremes, temptations, Four Tops, Stevie Wonder.

On Rock FM radio, Rufus got some play...and who can forget the Chambers Brothers.

But I was never exposed to James Brown(other than one or 2 songs). and wouldnt know a Herbie Hancock or Grover Washington song is it were playing right now. Were there special "Soul Stations" where you heard that or were they incorporated in the rock playlist stations.

Talk about CHaka Khan.....I saw her with Rufus as an Opening Act for the J Geils band......I am thinking 1974...once of te better opening acts I can remember.

However of the acts you mentioned above....one of my all time fave english acts says he was heavily influenced by the folks you mentioned....Graham Parker.

From long distance.....since that period of time....I dont think the record industry was willing to take a chance on new unique acts. They went into the safe mode.....the cookie cutter mode. Disco, punk , grunge....all different time periods..but all a bunch of copycat music .
    Every record company was looking for the next KC and the Sunshine Band, or Sex pistols. or Nirvana. Total tunnel vision.

14. LarryS

and 3 years later...the best for my money....Kinks- Father Christmas

a christmas song with an edge

15. Junket King

You were looking towards the UK, while I was looking towards America. UK 70's music was not my scene,
    if I feel nostalgic towards white orientated artists of that time, I would lean towards the US, Dobbie Brothers, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Crosby Steel and Nash, Neil Young (brilliant), even Joe's Garage Zappa (when was that released?).

In the main, I was heavily into Black Soul, Funk, Jazz and it sounded a zillion times better coming out of the US than anywhere else. I also chased those imports, which were also superior. For example a US James Brown single, had his picture on the label, whereas the UK release didn't, if it ever got a UK release.

16. LarryS

Thats interesting. The USA "rock" at that time on the radio stations I listened to did include all the above you mentioned. The one common thread with alot of them was incredible harmonies.
    Frank Zappa actually toured at one time with Flo and EDDIE(The guts of the Turtles).....even as guitar-centric as he was....he saw value in vocals.

Not saying we didnt have our own genius artists. I didnt attach really to any of the ones you just mentioned. But I did go see the Doobie Brothers live once and Zappa once just to see what all the fuss was about. I thought Fleetwood Mac was a britush band....you mean you dont want to claim them as your's? You can and no one would question it.....they do have major british blood content.
    With ZAPPA....it was unlike any concert I went to. He came out....started a song.....and about 100 minutes later finished it. No breaks (except for some extended solos so band members can take it easy)...just one long......1 song set.....play as you go. Kind of made Thick as a Brick look like a jingle.

And while I am on Thick as a Brick.......what record company would allow a one song record today. And what consumer would back it in todays youth? Not a chance. Music consumers now, I think have been brainwashed to accept copycat artists, and not give different sounds or concepts a chance.

I remember learning all the words to Thick as a Brick......and it was hard...because the words are more poetic and dont resonate as easy normal everyday concepts or thoughts. Today we need 3 minute songs.

17. Junket King

Yeah Mick might have been been the founder, but without Stevie Nicks!!!

Can't say I've heard of Thick as a Brick, but in regards to single song sides, Mike Oldfield Tubular Bells springs immediately to mind. Only a semi fan of Zappa, it was the Jazzy riffs and suggestive sexy vocals that got my attention "wet tee-shirt night", and those riffs in "don't eat the yellow snow". I'd be more into Neil Young, "Old man", take a look at my life, I'm a lot like you were.

I would suggest you try and catch the HBO series VINYL, bit slow to start, but great once it got going, set in the 70's in New York and is all about a record company and the excesses of the music industry, brilliant stuff.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3186130/

18. MrV

MrV Well-Known Member

attorney at law (retired)
    Long time fan of the Mac: late sixties on.

They transitioned from a hard core British blues band to pop, and for the most part did it well.

Saw them a few years ago at MGM: excellent show.

I love their jams of "Rattlesnake Shake" on their multi-CD set recorded live in Boston Feb. '70 at Boston Tea Party.

Peter Greene and Danny Kirwan really tore it up.

f mac boston.jpg

19. LarryS

I remember going to Sam Goody about once a week...because that what young 20 something kids did pre internet/amazon...and they had a wall of albums....Billboard top 20.....you know to help people see the popular stuff...
    I dont think it moved from the first slot for a long time. I never bought the album..but I have the visual of Rumours etched in my mind......just from seeing it all the time in the record shop. Its not a spectacular cover.......but its still instantly recognizable to my generation.

But the most memorable album cover was Roxy Music.....I didnt like thier music.....although I talked myself into liking it enough to get this Album

it would have been cheaper to just purchase hUSTLER

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  20. MrV

MrV Well-Known Member

attorney at law (retired)
    Pretty girls look good on CD's as well as LP's.

As they say: "Sex sells."

Love this one, a '90 release from another British group, a New Order spin-off: Revenge.

one true passion girl.jpg