1. Welcome to the #1 Gambling Community with the best minds across the entire gambling spectrum. REGISTER NOW!
  2. Have a gambling question?

Post it here and our gambling experts will answer it!
    Dismiss Notice

Lounge ENGLAND/MUSIC/1970-75

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by LarryS, Oct 30, 2016.

1. LarryS

LarryS Compulsive Liar Compulsive Liar

SIZE COUNTS.....i disaggree .......if I was 22 ish.....no cd cover would get me to buy it. But show me a full size album cover with tits....and you had me hooked. Actually the one above was not fully displayed as you might guess..there was a protective covering around it...but there was always one in the bin that got torn open.

But in the 60's and 70's.....album covers were a big deal. You could buy an album and spend hours looking through and reading the shit they gave you....Posters, artwork, the cover itself with moving parts(ie led zep).....Ambrosia unfolded into a pyramid, I think sticky fingers had a real zipper. Sgt Pepper,,,,you could spend hours looking at all the faces on the cover and trying to figure out who they were.(try doing that on a CD cover)

Here is one no one probably heard of.......around 1980 something..I got a monty python album....where you play the record on one side....but if you start the needle on the same side just a tad differently in a different grove....you get an entire new material. It was hit and miss....there was no way to get the side you wanted right off the bat......but it was just another thing about "record albums" that is lost forever....

2. LarryS

V
    do they still have concerts outdoors in Portland...I think it was called the rose garden..or it was near a rose garden.....also there was a japanese gardens nearby that was pretty cool..maybe across the street.....it was around 1999.
    But if I remember it was outdoors, and you can be near the stage and sit on the ground, or sit in the stands further back.
    the sound was real good...

But since Multnomah dog track went away.......I cant assume that concert venue is still around....or even the japanese gardens

3. Bombus

Bombus Well-Known Member

Two of my all time favourite bands, Thin Lizzy & Deep Purple were from that period, so yes, I would say it was a special time.

4. LarryS

I saw Deep purple live in 1973 at the Naussau Colosseum in Long Island. Opening act.....i never heard of....Tucky Buzzard.

5. MrV

MrV Well-Known Member

attorney at law (retired)
  6. LarryS

thats cool..sort of like the free concerts and plays in central park.

I saw Pirates of Penzance with Linda Ronstat and Kevin Kline for free around 1979-80

pretty fair price.

7. Turner

Turner Active Member

I'll see your Deep Purple 1973 and raise you Led Zeppelin, Knebworth, 1979 ;)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016

8. LarryS

I fold

Turner likes this.
  9. Turner

Turner Active Member

LOL...

On that concert, I went on a coach with a school friend. We were 15.

I took enough food for around 8 hours. Was starving to death by Zep.

They came on late, the coach left on time.

Was stuck in Stevenage. Slept in the door way of a Wimpey restaurant. A disaster all round.

I thought Todd Rungrens Utopia were by far the best band. Fairport convention second.....Zeppelin 3rd

Yes....thats a bomb shell !!!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  10. LarryS

Dont know much about TR....except for the We got to get you a woman....song...early 70s.
    I know him more for taking a guy that sings off key, doesnt have a strong voice at all, plays no instrument.....and producing a monumental record.

Its like a Pygmalian type of bet. I am guessing someone bet TOdd that he couldnt turn a no talent obese wannabe "performer".....into a multi-platinum rock star.

Just remembered a song..maybe called ..on the road to utopia...that I liked way back when.

11. MrV

MrV Well-Known Member

Todd put out a great double album: "Something/Anything."

A variety of song styles, including classic Philly doo-wop.

Who can forget his hit "Hello, It's Me?"

It's on there.

Oh, you're wrong when you say he plays no instrument: in fact, he played them all.

Hello, multi-track.

12. LarryS

MEATLOAF PLAYS ALL INSTRUMENTS?

news to me

13. Junket King

Junket King Well-Known Member Compulsive Liar

ABR Complusive LIAR Management
    Sure does

OP honey.jpg
    The girl in that shot was some Playboy model who got stuck to the floor after being covered in Honey (the title of the album), they claimed she had to be socked in hot water so she could get up from the floor. Brilliant album.

OP pain.jpg
    OP fire.jpg
    The Ohio Players renowned for their covers, people used to go into record shops and steal them, caught them at the Hammersmith around 74 and Southport circa 75, one of my all time fav bands.

I do remember that release well.

What they sometimes do now, is on a CD there will be a 15 min period of silence and you think it has ended, then another track will kick in aka 'Kings of Leon', this has been done a few times.

I prefer the cardboard fold out CD covers than the plastic jewel cases. I notice stateside CD's are sometimes sold with large covers, I suppose to make them more difficult to steal. Been looking on Google but can't find an example, had a great one for James Brown's Payback, I ended up getting it framed.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  14. LarryS

I think the plastic ones allows for tagging with security devices or makesit less easy for slipping in a pocket.
    Stores that just sell music are long gone....and book stores are not far behind.

15. Junket King

Ahhh I see my beloved Tower Records at Sunset Boulevard in LA has gone? Couldn't get off the bus fast enough when I first saw the sign. Afterwards would spend days in the place, picked up a vinyl copy of the Isley Brothers Between the sheets for about $3, made up with that, as it would have cost me 5 times the price in the UK.

tower-records-sunset-featured.jpg

Long gone are the days of travelling up and down the country just to check out record fairs. I wouldn't bother entering a record shop nowadays.

16. LarryS

I see magical Mystery Tour in that pic

17. LarryS

yes there was a tower records in the village in NYC I used to love to go to when I went to see a show at the Bottom Line.

It was 2 stories

its selction dwarfed any other retailer.

18. MrV

MrV Well-Known Member

Upon further review, I misunderstood your comment (I thought you were still talking about Todd).

As for Meatloaf: I never acquired the taste.

19. Junket King

I'm pretty certain I went in there as well, a friend of mine recommended some Jazz Fusion CD by some artist called Elements. I bought it, it was okay but not great, that would have been around 1982 when America was going ballistic over MJ's Thriller, it was everywhere, radio, video being played in store fronts causing crowds to gather.

Long gone were the hard hitting slick talking DJ's of WBRL New York, replaced by the slick productions such as James Ingram "ya mo be there". A bit nervy sitting on the Freddie Laker flight out of Newark NJ in the freezing winter, sat on the tarmac for 45mins while they sprayed the plane to get the ice off it.

20. Bombus

Bombus Well-Known Member

Todd Rundgren was awesome, but I fold too.