1. Welcome to the #1 Gambling Community with the best minds across the entire gambling spectrum. REGISTER NOW!
  2. Have a gambling question?

Post it here and our gambling experts will answer it!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Discussions in this section are assumed to be EV- as they are outside of the Advantage Play section. For EV+ discussions, please visit the Advantage Play section.
    Dismiss Notice

Lottery Exploiting State Lotteries

Discussion in 'Lottery Forum | Lotto Forum' started by Mickey Crimm, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Mickey Crimm

Mickey Crimm Well-Known Member

Lotteries are mostly huge negative bets with long shot odds that you couldn't hit in 10 lifetimes. But there are some examples of exploitable games I've seen. However, we are not talking about life changing money. This game here comes from the Montana State Lottery. It's called Shake A Day.

SHAKE A DAY.jpg

This is a progressive game. The meter starts at $1,000 and is currently at $2,688. I have no idea how much of each ticket sold goes into the meter but I think it is a significant amount. It's enough to make the game occasionally go positive. I've seen it run as high as $7500.

The cost of a ticket is $3. Up on the right you can see the paying tickets, what the prizes are, and what the odds are.

You will hit the full house every 2.5 tickets and you are awarded $3.
    The cost of 2.5 tickets is $7.50.
    Divide the $3 award by $7.50 and the full house it worth 40% return.

You will hit the four of a kind every 55.56 games
    The cost of 55.56 tickets is $166.68
    Divide the $50 award by $166.68 and the four of a kind is worth 30% return.

So that is a 70% return. That means that in the long run the average cost of a ticket is just 90 cents.
    $3 X 30% = 90 cents.

The frequency of the five of a kind is 5000. So per the long run the cost of 5000 tickets is $4500.
    5000 X .9 = 4500.

I frequently see this game go way above $4500.

2. Vilma Young

Vilma Young New Member

Many times lottery is a negative betting policy because it fully depend on the number. If yur luck as been fever & the lottery will give you a changing life. You buy your lottery at small amount price but it will be return with a huge price. Betting lottery in occasionally and go positive.

3. Mickey Crimm

I have four rules for any game I play.

1. I have to have an edge in the game.

2. I have to know the strategy of the game

3. I have to be playing well withing the means of my bankroll to cover the swings of the game.

4. The odds of the top jackpot have to be hittable. The longest odds I've ever been involved in is 48,000 to 1. That's 10/7 Double Bonus Video Poker. I pretty much won't play anything above that no matter how big an edge it is. But I could see myself playing for something like an 8-spot progressive in keno (odds are 233,000) if I were team playing it with multiple people.

4. OnlineLotteryShop

OnlineLotteryShop New Member

Very interesting, I will make a review of the the Montana State Lottery "Shake A Day" on my blog this week, thanks for the heads up!

5. Mickey Crimm

OLS, what is the name of your blog?

6. Gullywin

Gullywin Member

I also adhere to 3 principles when engaging in any game:

1. I ensure that I possess a competitive advantage within the game.
    2. I familiarize myself with the game's strategy and mechanics.
    3. I maintain a bankroll that comfortably accommodates the game's volatility, allowing me to navigate its ups and downs proficiently.

7. Future Winner

Future Winner New Member

Your methodology is good. Strategy, mathematics, and an advantage is essential. Most of the big winners follow these rules and they stick to your third rule by setting limits. Good luck.

8. mingzi

mingzi New Member

Did you win