1. Welcome to the #1 Gambling Community with the best minds across the entire gambling spectrum. REGISTER NOW!
  2. Have a gambling question?

Post it here and our gambling experts will answer it!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Discussions in this section are assumed to be EV- as they are outside of the Advantage Play section. For EV+ discussions, please visit the Advantage Play section.
    Dismiss Notice

Poker How many hands folded before playing first hand

Discussion in 'Poker Forum' started by theANMATOR, Jan 12, 2022.

1. theANMATOR

theANMATOR Guest

Fun post.

Recently I've experienced some interesting run of cards early in events.

In one event I did not play the first 24 hands. Not even from the bb.

Last week I did not play in the first 29 hands, not even from the bb.

Yesterday evening - was my longest streak that I'm aware of. I did not play the first 39 hands in a 500gtd turbo. LOL
    I ended up placing 6th in this event out of 260 runners. But for a while there - I didn't think I was ever going to play a hand.

Sure does keep the VPIP low. :laugh:

I'm kind of wondering if this is a leak for me - in the blinds - but I'm pretty certain I'm defending properly, just not getting even marginally playable hands when in those positions. I will readily admit - I'm pretty tight in SB, and I think that is a good thing rather than not.

I'm sure this has happened before - to everyone - but lately for me I've been noticing it. Probably because this stretch has been happening in several events at the same time.

I guess its all just circumstance - and the flow of the game - and the hands dealt.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed large stretches of time at the beginning of events - where you do no play one hand of poker.

What is your longest stretch at the beginning of events - where you do not play one hand of poker - not even from the blinds? :eek:

Source

2. sscccoach

sscccoach New Member

I can recall several tournaments where I played non or very little early on and still cashed in the tournament. Getting involved in too many hands can be a leak early on in a tournament. If you are going to have a period in the tournament when you are card dead, it is the best time.