1. Welcome to the #1 Gambling Community with the best minds across the entire gambling spectrum. REGISTER NOW!
  2. Have a gambling question?

Post it here and our gambling experts will answer it!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Discussions in this section are assumed to be EV- as they are outside of the Advantage Play section. For EV+ discussions, please visit the Advantage Play section.
    Dismiss Notice

Baccarat I Know A Published Author!

Discussion in 'Baccarat Forum' started by porky, Aug 15, 2021.

1. porky

porky Active Member

The constant threads of the famous Baccarat author got me thinking of a friend of mine.
    This dude had a stack of magazines over six feet tall.
    He had numerous paperbacks on a shelf. He wrote them all.
    At the time he had just written an article for a car magazine describing a sports car in detail. He had what it felt like behind the wheel. What it felt like at certain speeds. How it handled on curves etc., etc..
    Thing was he happened to be over three hundred and couldn't fit in that small sports car with a shoe horn.
    I asked how many of the articles and books did he actually have first hand experience at. He just laughed. Look at me where am I gonna go.
    When someone talks over everybody with opinion and never puts a fact forward they are trying to run a con. Keep acting like you believe it yourself and others will believe it.
    When a Judge who sat on the bench tells you that you don't have a case and you go yes I do.
    Your not getting that the gig is up. Others that have worked in law enforcement can tell you with out worry of a law suit or the FBI knocking on their door that you are a con man plain and simple.
    Sure you will drum up some poor sucker or suckers. But, they can't say they weren't warned.

Junket King and Jae like this.
  2. Frank Kneeland

Frank Kneeland Active Member Lineage to Founders

Professional Gambler
    If you are a published author, does this count as "knowing a published author"?

I would say you can never really know anyone, least of all yourself...

3. porky

porky Active Member

Yes, I think the point is that someone bragging about the number of books they have written on any subject means absolutely nothing. Same as a person thinking that stating they have a masters degree again means nothing. A dime a dozen.
    I thought of this guy because I would think that with that much under his belt he would have gotten paid handsomely. But, since he finished college it had become his side hustle. He had a regular job with a retirement plan and 401k. He cranked out two to four magazine articles a week. Some for submitting hoping to catch if I remember around fifty bucks. He also would be asked to write articles like the car review with these stats. The books I can't tell you what his deal was. I just remember as a side hustle it was o.k. and as he said better than working.
    Also since we don't really know people, I was associated with a published science fiction writer. Wrote one book that he said did O.K. and then a follow up book. Never read them. Had a great Uncle that wrote a specific subject history book. It was published and sold in gift shops of the area. The science fiction book obviously was. The history account was delivered as accurate but was extremely flawed.

Yep, as you can see I get all excited at an established author. YAWN......

4. Frank Kneeland

Frank Kneeland Active Member Lineage to Founders

Professional Gambler
    I would have to say I agree. I have actually been paid on several occasions to train people with Degrees in a subject, despite the fact that I not only didn't have a degree in that subject, I knew nothing about it. How is that even possible?

Better worded, "It should not be possible!"

Sure, I'm brighter than the average bulb, but that's not the point I'm making.

You should not be able to get a degree in a subject and have to take instruction from someone that's never even studied the topic.