1. Welcome to the #1 Gambling Community with the best minds across the entire gambling spectrum. REGISTER NOW!
  2. Have a gambling question?

Post it here and our gambling experts will answer it!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Discussions in this section are assumed to be EV- as they are outside of the Advantage Play section. For EV+ discussions, please visit the Advantage Play section.
    Dismiss Notice

Poker ICM Blunder or not?

Discussion in 'Poker Forum' started by Emmanuelmjr, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Emmanuelmjr

Emmanuelmjr Guest

4.50 180 on demand pokerstars.

4 handed on the final.

I don't see the relevance of the stats but just in case...
    Villain: 20/15/4.3 over 235

Stacks: 1) 97bb. 2) 27bb. 3) 27bb. 4) 19bb.

Action folds round to us in SB and we have 27bb. Villain has 19bb.

We have Ad9d and just open ship.
    Villain calls with KQ off and gets there.

If I opened, I'd be falling off any ship pre flop. And folding a to lot of jams on the flop/ turn if don't improve.

Losing the hand is beside the point but it did prompt me to ask. Is open shipping there profitable long term or is it an icm blunder?

The table was pretty passive pre and all in crazy post flop.

Source.

2. TEACH (AlSpath)

TEACH (AlSpath) Active Member Founding Member

Poker Instructor
    what is diff in payout from 3rd and 4th?

3. TheLangolier

TheLangolier New Member Lineage to Founders

Al, you won't get a reply from OP obviously, as none of these posts actually originate in this forum.

I think opening standard performs much better than jamming. OP can easily run this in IMCizer or HRC to get his answer re: jamming range (I suspect it's tight, if I had the actual HH I'd run it myself as it would be easy plug and play).

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  4. TEACH (AlSpath)

Poker Instructor
    Yeah, A9 vs KQ about 58-42, I might do most of time, unless huge jump into 3rd spot.

5. TheLangolier

Shoving the A9 is certainly better (or if wrong, less of a mistake) than calling with the KQ imo. But it's not a matter of opinion in regards to ICM. Questions like this always amuse me. The poster obviously knows what ICM is, but takes the time type all this in a forum to ask if he made an ICM mistake rather than just run it himself in an ICM calculator... which with a pokerstars hand history just takes seconds as it's copy/paste.

It's quite possible on these stacks that shoving is an ICM mistake but I feel confident opening a standard amount is not a mistake.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  6. wreakhavoc

wreakhavoc New Member Lineage to Founders

Framing Contractor
    Why are they being allowed here? (especially when the OP cannot even see any replies) About half of them are nonsense and a scorn to this forum.

7. TEACH (AlSpath)

Poker Instructor
    true, poor choices on some.

8. jbs

jbs Well-Known Member

My guess is that it's the admins doing it again like they did with their "Sparky" character. As bad as that may be, at least it drowns out some of the retarded baccarat and roulette nonsense going on constantly here.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  9. TheLangolier

It's definitely the admins, trying to stimulate activity in a forum that is on life support. They might have an agreement with Cardschat, which all the source links I've clicked lead me back to that forum, so obviously they're not hiding it and CC is ok with it. I'm not fond of the tactic personally but as long as it's above table and the sourced forum doesn't have a problem with their content being reposted, why not give it a shot.