1. Welcome to the #1 Gambling Community with the best minds across the entire gambling spectrum. REGISTER NOW!
  2. Have a gambling question?

Post it here and our gambling experts will answer it!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Discussions in this section are assumed to be EV- as they are outside of the Advantage Play section. For EV+ discussions, please visit the Advantage Play section.
    Dismiss Notice

Poker Is it ever too early?

Discussion in 'Poker Forum' started by jscales, Apr 15, 2016.

1. jscales

jscales Guest

My question is if it ever too early in a tournament to commit yourself to a hand?

This is the hand that makes me wonder this...

The blinds are 50/100 no ante... I am in the bb with 4300 in chips. The average stack at the table is around 3000. There are two large stacks to my right.

Under the gun limps into the hand and under the gun+1 raises to 300. It folds around to me. The UTG player already has his cards in hand ready to fold. The UTG+1 lost a significant pot a few hands later and is the short stack at the table with only 1900 behind after the raise.

I have QJ off suit and make the call.

The flop comes 10-9-9 rainbow. Open ended here I decide to try to take the pot down here... with 800 in the pot I make 350. After some deliberation the player shoves their remaining stack in.

My thought process here is this... If they have 10-9 I am in big trouble but that hand is unlikely with a raise pre-flop from early position. If they have a hand like A-9 I am a little more than 33% to win the hand. A-10 would make me the favorite in the hand at about 57% to win, because I would have 14 outs.

This is where my question comes in. We are still early in the tournament and there is a lot of play left. If I make the call I lose 19 bb's blinds and will be left with 17.5 bb's.

So with a lot of tournament left do I let the hand go, or do I go with because I have so many outs, and if I win the hand I am set up in good shape for the middle stages of the tournament?

Source.