1. Welcome to the #1 Gambling Community with the best minds across the entire gambling spectrum. REGISTER NOW!
  2. Have a gambling question?

Post it here and our gambling experts will answer it!
    Dismiss Notice

Lounge Ken's awesome movie ratings !!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by mr j, Jun 6, 2016.

1. mr j

mr j Well-Known Member

self employed
    I love the movies, always have, always will so I thought I would share my views.

I go to an actual theater, I really dont download. I love the popcorn/soda experience, Ken's time to relax.

I rate 1-10 (10 being the best). Feel free to add your POLITE comments !!

Batman vs. Superman >> 7

Divergent: Allegiant >> 3

Miracles From Heaven >> 8

10 Cloverfield Lane >> 2.5

London Has Fallen >> 3

Deadpool >> 6.5

X-Men: Apocalypse >> 5

Neighbors 2 >> 2.5

The Nice Guys >> 3

Money Monster >> 7

Captain America: Civil War >> 7.5

Pia Toomingas likes this.
  2. Mickey Crimm

Mickey Crimm Well-Known Member

I can't wait for your rating on The Free State of Jones. I've known for years what the Free State of Jones was and now they've made a movie about it. I read a publicity piece on yahoo news about the movie yesterday and was surprised to find that the news media had contacted my cousin Wyatt Moulds who lives in Jones County, Mississippi and is a professor of history at Jones County Junior College.

He stated that Newton Knight, the main character in the movie is a distant cousin of his, which means I could be related to Newton Knight. I'm a genealogist just like Wyatt so I will have to trace it down. It could be that he is related to Newton from the other side of his family.

During the Civil War a band of poor white farmers and slaves declared Jones County the Free State of Jones and fought to keep the Confederacy out of Jones County. Newton Knight, the leader of the movement, understood something that a lot of poor white southern boys didn't. During the War there was a rule called the "20 slave rule." If you owned more than 20 slaves you were exempt from fighting the war. Meanwhile, every dirt poor dumass southern boy who didn't own slaves was conscripted in service. These poor, illiterate, dumass kids had to fight to keep the rich slaveholders rich. Knight understood that and lead a movement to keep Jones County, Mississippi out of the War.

3. LarryS

LarryS Compulsive Liar Compulsive Liar

Thanks for the ratings. Up until 2 years ago I would go with wife once a week and experience the same things you like. Plus, movies were made for the big screen. For example in the standard horror/suspense movie...how many times is someone walking through a scary house, and they open a cabinet, and a cat leaps out. In your home it does very little...but on a big screen in a theater, you jump.
    And so it goes, many different images are conjured up by the director to evoke emotion....emotion that is often lost on the small screen.

However the deterioration of society has caught up to the theater. People think they are watchig the movie in the living room. They are no longer trained to shut the fuck up for 2 hours.And if they are not talking, they are texting or receiving phone calls. And if they bring kids that get bored..they no longer control them. They are used to the kids playing and talking all day..they just block them out....while the rest of us have to contend.

In the old old days there were actually ushers with flashlights. Now if you shine a light into someones face when they talk, they are libel to shoot you.

We would try to avoid these issues, by going to a early matinee, ...like 11 am.....but its not worth it anymore.

I cant expect the theaters to try to undo what has already been done in the way people are raised.

But I will keep the ratings in mind if I choose a pay per view movie

I am more into independent films ...but also see blockbusters as well

Just saw the Big Short....yesterday

4. mr j

mr j Well-Known Member

self employed
    ...plus the kicking on the back of my seat.
    You tell him to stop it and you hear...."what the f**k you gonna do about it"? I try not to sit near the YOUNGER viewers, what a shame.

Ken

5. LarryS

A few years ago we went to see Mamma Mia...at 11 am. We sit all the way upfront in a theater(our usual seats) to keep away from people. About 8 rows back there is a mother with her infant. The kid is crying and crying halfway throughthe movie. I finally yell,, "take the kid out".....she yells back"its a matinee".
    As if thats a logical excuse. In her mind matinees are places to brings kids to make noise without consequence. She doesnt have to be a parent or good neighbor...because its a "matinee'

And then there are people who think anytime there is a quiet time in a movie...its time to talk. Its time for me to listen to their inane comments.
    Its not a time to reflect upon what just happened, its not a time to enjoy the music or visual images....its actually time to have a conversation that others can hear....or make a cell phone call.

Not to mention kids that walk into the movie in a multiplex for free after their movie is over, and have zero money invested in the movie, and they just fool around.

you have alot more patience

6. OneArmedBandit

OneArmedBandit Active Member

Your rating on Money Monster IMO was very generous, I'd rate it a 5 at best. Thanks for creating a useful topic to discuss

7. MrV

MrV Well-Known Member

attorney at law (retired)
    Started to watch a movie made in 1999 about sports betting in Las Vegas, with John Goodman and Courtney Cox, "The Runner."

Switched it off after twenty minutes: not my cuppa, but those into sports betting might like it.

Interesting shots of the strip under construction, e.g. just starting on the tower at Paris.

8. redietz

redietz Well-Known Member

MrV, I recommend that movie to friends who want to understand the ambience of sports betting. It's a damned terrible movie, but it does capture the emotional spirit of big time sports betting, and it also highlights the discipline necessary because one bad hour, one bad decision, could wreck your life.

Not sure if Billy Walters appreciates John Goodman playing his pseudo-character.

9. LarryS

V
    I think Owning Mahowny captures a sick gamblers soul on film.

you will recognize actions and mannerisms in yourself and in others in the main character.

RIP PS Hoffman

10. LarryS

Mr J

Do you want this thread to be just your ratings.....I will start another thread to discuss gambling movies....its seems people want to talk about that....I dont want to hijack. Let us know.

11. redietz

Owning Mahoney is a great film.

"Chicken wings...no sauce."

Just great.

12. mr j

mr j Well-Known Member

self employed
    Makes no difference to me. As long as its movie related......

13. redietz

I thought Civil War was the best of all the superhero films. I'd give it an 8.5, with Winter Soldier an 8. If Civil War had explained (1) why the heck Stark never considered his parents had been murdered, (2) why the heck billionaire dad Stark was carrying super soldier serum without bodyguards or precautions, and with wife -- very irresponsible, or (3) why that camera was out there in the middle of nowhere, then I'd feel even better about Civil War.

14. MrV

MrV Well-Known Member

attorney at law (retired)
    Rarely am I astounded and awed by a movie.

"Hard to Be a God," absolutely stunned me.

Totally unique.

trailer:

15. mr j

mr j Well-Known Member

self employed

16. LarryS

Maybe someone can help me with the name of the movie. I looked on Wiki and cant find it.
    It was a horrible poker movie. Real bad, and unrealistic with poker rules I never heard of. But it had to do with marking cards, maybe had ed norton in it....had a brief appearance of sly stallone as a hi stakes gambler in a private game. I am thinking there is a woman involved also who was shady.
    The poker scene was so stupid, that the movie lost credibility. I may be mixing up movies but maybe the woman was involved in luring men to get their organs harvested.Not sure.

17. mr j

mr j Well-Known Member

self employed
    Now You See Me 2 >> 3.5 (very disappointed)

The Conjuring 2 >> 5.5 (damn scary, popcorn flying in the air)

18. Rona

Rona Active Member

All the film critics say Batman v Superman is a very bad film.

mr j and Suzy Brinda like this.
  19. mr j

mr j Well-Known Member

self employed

Thats the rub, its all opinions, nothing more. My views, the critics views.....opinions.

Ken

20. LarryS

I was always an avid fan of Roger Ebert's reviews. I would watch them and also read them.
    Once he gave a movie zero stars. Keep in mind he rarely does that. Even the cheesy slasher movies get at least a half star.

But the movie was a drama...The Life of David Gale

I saw it because I am a fan of Spacey.. And I thought it was a fine movie. At least worth 2.5 stars on his 4 star scale.

But he had such a negative reaction to the movie that he couldnt give it even a partial star.

And thats the beauty of film