1. Welcome to the #1 Gambling Community with the best minds across the entire gambling spectrum. REGISTER NOW!
  2. Have a gambling question?

Post it here and our gambling experts will answer it!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Discussions in this section are assumed to be EV- as they are outside of the Advantage Play section. For EV+ discussions, please visit the Advantage Play section.
    Dismiss Notice

Poker Micro-stakes adjustments

Discussion in 'Poker Forum' started by LuisBoaC, Sep 18, 2021.

1. LuisBoaC

LuisBoaC Guest

A bit of a vague question: how do you play when you have little to no fold equity?
    I have learnt that, in theory, we should be fighting to win certain pots not because we think we're best but because we think our opponent will fold. For example c-betting when you totally miss the flop but think your opponent's range has mostly missed too; or betting a draw in the hope that you either hit or your opponent folds.
    But in the games I play - $1.50 or $3.50 SNGs on Pokerstars - I often find myself at a table where, for the first 3 levels at least, there is always at least one pre-flop caller or limper (usually two or three) and most flop bets are called.
    When I open someone calls. If I raise a limper someone behind will call.
    So I've been tightening up, waiting for strong hands. But I still get callers and they improve to beat me. I know I should like wide callers when I have a strong hand, but when there's 2 or 3 it decreases the value of my strong hand (AA vs one opponent has less equity than AA vs 3 opponents). I recently posted a hand where I lost a big pot overvaluing my AA vs. two opponents on a wet board. The better option would have been to lose a little pot. But if you always have 2+ callers this will often happen and you'll lose lots of little pots. So your stack gets smaller and you still have no fold equity.
    I often feel the easiest game is the one where I get no playable cards for the first 3 levels, but then I basically just end up playing shove/fold and wonder if I should have played more poker earlier. Plus that's boring, I might as well play the lottery.
    Is there anything I could do differently? Could I limp or call a lot more hands in the early stages, playing hit or fold?
    Apologies for the vagueness of this question, I've tried to make it not too ranty. And I really don't feel I'm exaggerating, 30-50% of the games I play there are 2 or 3 players who won't fold (except total, offsuit junk) before they've seen a turn, regardless of board, stacks, bet size, etc.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Source