1. Welcome to the #1 Gambling Community with the best minds across the entire gambling spectrum. REGISTER NOW!
  2. Have a gambling question?

Post it here and our gambling experts will answer it!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Discussions in this section are assumed to be EV- as they are outside of the Advantage Play section. For EV+ discussions, please visit the Advantage Play section.
    Dismiss Notice

Blackjack Migrating from Hi-Lo to AceMT

Discussion in 'Blackjack Forum' started by Moraine, Aug 21, 2021.

1. Moraine

Moraine Active Member

If you have been a practicing card counter for some length of time, the chances are that you may know the Hi-Lo system, and have committed quite a few Hi-Lo deviation indices to your memory.

It is very understandable that you treasure the Hi-Lo deviation indices which you may have spent months or years to accumulate and memorize, and that you may be reluctant about switching to a new card counting system -- AceMT -- even when AceMT can deliver just as much or even more than Hi-Lo can deliver, but is simpler and easier.

Moraine can understand the reluctance full well because Moraine was a Hi-Lo drop out himself, and had memorized about some 90 to 100 Hi-Lo deviation indices at one time as a Hi-Lo practitioner.

Question: If you decide to switch to AceMT from Hi-Lo for card counting blackjack, will the Hi-Lo deviation indices that you have already memorized go to waste?

Answer: No, No, No, because you can convert any HiLo deviation index into the corresponding AceMT deviation index through a simple mathematical operation.

2. jbs

jbs Well-Known Member

"Early in my own career I thought about the definition of “gamble” in another context. With my American BP, I would say the word “gamble” to signal that I didn’t have any hole-card information. Two Chinese brothers who sometimes joined our table would say “gamble” when making a play such as doubling A8 against a dealer’s known hard 16. At first, I thought that their use of the word “gamble” was very different from mine, until I realized that both of our teams were using the word “gamble” to mean “to do something risky or dangerous.” To them, doubling A8 is risky. To me, playing a hand of blackjack without knowing the hole card is risky!"

James Grosjean.

https://www.lasvegasadvisor.com/gambling-with-an-edge/colin-jones-season-1-episode-7/

3. Moraine

Moraine Active Member

The Point Value assignments of AceMT: -1 to each of the high cards (A, K, Q, J or 10), and 0 to all else.
    The Point Value assignments of Hi-Lo: -1 to each of the high cards, +1 to each of the low cards (2, 3, 4, 5 or 6), and 0 to each of the middle cards (7, 8 or 9).

If a 52-card blackjack deck of cards has one surplus high card (A, K, Q, J or 10), one of the non-high cards (2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9) must be missing. If that missing non-high card is a 7, 8 or 9, the true count of AceMT and Hi-Lo both remain at +1. But if the missing non-high card is a 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6, the true count of Hi-Lo increases by +1 to become +2, while the true count of AceMT remains at +1,

Since there are 5 out of 8 chances that the missing non-high card could be a 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6, thus in average, 1 AceMT = 1 + 1 x 5/8 = 1.625.

From the above, we can say: 1 AceMT True Count in Blackjack = 1.625 Hi-Lo True Count in Blackjack. Therefore, if you know a Hi-Lo deviation index, you can divide that Hi-Lo deviation index by 1.625 to obtain the corresponding AceMT deviation index.