1. Welcome to the #1 Gambling Community with the best minds across the entire gambling spectrum. REGISTER NOW!
  2. Have a gambling question?

Post it here and our gambling experts will answer it!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Discussions in this section are assumed to be EV- as they are outside of the Advantage Play section. For EV+ discussions, please visit the Advantage Play section.
    Dismiss Notice

Lottery No winning tickets sold in Powerball, jackpot shoots up to $450 million

Discussion in 'Lottery Forum | Lotto Forum' started by Sparky, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Sparky

Sparky Member Founding Member

(CNN) - Millions played and prayed.

But no one got all the six life-changing numbers: 5, 10, 21, 34, 58 and the Powerball, 33. The next drawing will be held Wednesday, and the estimated jackpot now shoots up to $450 million.

The jackpot is among the largest ever and inching closer to the biggest in Powerball history: $590.5 million won in 2013

Meanwhile, here's some mathematical reality: you never stood a chance.

We know, we know -- someone may get at least a share of the prize. If not this one, then in a subsequent drawing.

Chances of it being you? Virtually nonexistent.

The chance of a ticket winning a Powerball jackpot is 1 in 175,223,510. You have a better chance of becoming an astronaut, dating a supermodel -- maybe even being attacked by a shark or struck by lightning -- simultaneously.

But hey, dream on!

We will, too.

Source.

2. TEACH (AlSpath)

TEACH (AlSpath) Active Member Founding Member

Poker Instructor
    Can one of our Math experts please provide the odds of winning this with one set of numbers, vs two tickets of 10 quick picks.

The newscasters always say something like 1 in 350 million chance (hypothetical), but then if you own 10 tickets, is it 1 in 35 million?

I purchase 2 or 3 draws when I do buy the tickets, so I don't have to return when it rolls over, I hate those lines and in flu season, everyone seems to be sick and out of their death bed to purchase a chance at glory.

3. TurboGenius

TurboGenius Well-Known Member Founding Member

Self proclaimed Theoretical Philosopher
    The odds of winning are 1 in 175,223,510
    So with 10 tickets, the odds of winning are 10 in 175,223,510 - mathematically not much different when you're dealing with a number that big.
    The odds of winning "something" at least are 1 in 31.85 which is pretty good - about the same as roulette. (grins)

And when it comes to the lottery and winning the big one - don't be too discouraged by the odds.. and thinking "I have no chance" - because every winner who ever won the jackpot thought the same thing - and they obviously won.

A group of people I know love to pool together and play - so they might buy 80 tickets and insist that they have a better chance of winning than I do buying 20 or so. The math isn't much different at all, aside from "if" I win while playing in their 'group' - my winnings now are divided by everyone in the group. If I have roughly the same chance of winning on my own (and get 100% of the winnings for myself...) then it's only obvious to me to play on my own.

4. Crizelle Velasco

Crizelle Velasco New Member

So what happens if anyone deliberately goes into a lake filled with sharks or stands on a hilltop in bad weather? Wont they win a lottery? I guess that being a part of the lottery does has certain odds for winning.

5. Harta

Harta New Member

I agree with Crizelle. Every person has a chance of winning, nobody knows who will be the next. Once I won 8.614 dollars. I usually play Australian Powerball. Look here Powerball results

6. Harta

Harta New Member

Find useful info here

7. Danielle

Danielle New Member

That's why I don't play anymore. I mean you really don't know if you have the winning ticket, but when you think about it the person who wins you don't know and no one that you know knows them. So really I don't think that it's totally worth it.

8. TurboGenius

TurboGenius Well-Known Member Founding Member

Self proclaimed Theoretical Philosopher
  9. Richardo

Richardo New Member

I don't agree with Daniel, because everyone person wants to win in a lottery, but if you want to win, you just have to buy tickets. So you must try, If you want to know that you are lucky person or not