1. Welcome to the #1 Gambling Community with the best minds across the entire gambling spectrum. REGISTER NOW!
  2. Have a gambling question?

Post it here and our gambling experts will answer it!
    Dismiss Notice

Lounge Religion? God?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by KewlJ, Jun 16, 2016.

1. KewlJ

KewlJ Well-Known Member

Belief in religion and/or God is certainly a very individual thing. I myself know that there is someone or something somewhere looking out for me and helping me. I have been too fortune in life for it just to have been blind luck.

I have my own private relationship with this entity and I pray and communicate with him/her every day. My relationship is very different that what the catholic religion that I was raised outlines that it should be. For example I don't go to church. I believe this God entity is everywhere and you don't have to go to a specific place of worship to communicate with him.

Just turn the TV down or off and have a chat. He/she is listening. Or that is what I generally believe. But every once in a while something occurs....something so horrific, that I wonder if there is a god, anywhere close to the idea that I believe, how he/she could allow such a thing to happen.

Such is the case of an alligator snatching and eating a two year old boy in what is supposed to be the "happiest place on earth". :(:eek:

I know many things are bigger than I. Many things I am not suppose to understand. But with something like this is just difficult to have faith.

Ivar6353 likes this.
  2. Mickey Crimm

Mickey Crimm Well-Known Member

I'm at the bar downing the shit so just a short note. Since birth I've always had a lot of natural hostility in me. If not for my Christian upbringing I would have been dead or doing life in prison by the age of 25.

3. shadroch

shadroch Member

Retired character assassin
    In order speak to an equal, an Irishman is forced to talk with God.

4. MrV

MrV Well-Known Member

attorney at law (retired)
    God, eh?

Where's the proof that god exists?

Or is it like dice setting: a matter of faith, based on want?

5. whodat

whodat Member

I am sorry that your terrible upbringing had a hand in turning you away from the Catholic faith KJ. But I am glad that at least you are talking to God (or a God entity as you so aptly named).
    Sometimes horrendous things happen and we question His existence. It is during times like this that we just need to have faith.
    My heart and prayers go out to this boy's family and the families of the victims of the mass shooting.

6. Mickey Crimm

Shadroch, if you want to confuse an Irishman then hand him two shovels and tell him to take his pick.

7. LarryS

LarryS Compulsive Liar Compulsive Liar

Every now and then something horrific happens??????????
    What planet do you live on.
    Every single day men, women, and children are killed by natural disasters like drought ; flood and earthquakes
    Every day people are killed by death squads of dictators.
    There are half a dozen Muslim countries where gays.. are put to death via horrible public spectacles
    There is genocide in countries while we all stand silent
    And you think a kid killed by an alligator makes you wonder where God is????
    Open your eyes to the daily events of the world ...The genocide...The torture...The starvation...the oppression...The squalor...The corruption...going on every minute of every day.....and death by an alligator is the least of this planets beef with god.

8. appistappis

appistappis Member

I'm almost always surprised how so many people, even higher intellects believe in god.....easter bunny, tooth fairy, ghosts, santa claus and god...yeah right.

9. LarryS

We shield ourselves from knowledge of the daily atrocities that go on in the world. And for good reason.
    If we allowed ourselves to view the sheer and utter pain, suffering, and hopelessness that goes on every minute in the world...we would go insane.

Instead we let our local news media slowly spoonfeed us tragedy little by little

I would imagine a god would oversee the entire planet and not just north aamerica

millions of innocent children every year die the torturous death from starvation.they are not white kids in Disney land so they get no attention. And the children are not dying while partying at a club. They just suffer a slow painful death daily. A death overseen by their god
    And that's just one single atrocity in a world filled with daily atrocities to other children, women and men.

it's been a hard day on the planet .....LWIII

10. Mickey Crimm

It's tradition, App. If its good enough for my ancestors then it is good enough for me. I'm a Christian. Period.

11. LarryS

Treating disease with leeches was also tradition for some. If it's good enough for them.......

traditionally the earth was viewed as flat

Slavery was a quaint tradition

12. Mickey Crimm

Is Jesus really the Son of God? Does that question even matter? Who gives a rat's ass whether he was the son of God or not? Its what Jesus taught us. That is what is being missed by us fallible, fallible, human beings.

13. LarryS

Are u talking about the Spanish inquisition

14. MrV

MrV Well-Known Member

Others have spouted similar shit such as that which Jesus is said to have spewed, laying out moral codes and precepts, and people don't kill, murder and rape in their name.

Oh wait, Mohamed ... never mind, they sure as hell do.

We're all a bunch of fucking bozos on this careening bus we call earth.

15. Sandra453

Sandra453 Member

Sales Manager
    I believe that there might be something out there that we just do not understand yet. You can call it Creator, God, Allah or whatever - it doesn't matter. The humanity just doesn't have enought knowledge (for now) to prove that God do not exist, so no one can say that there are no higher powers.
    I believe that if we were created by the image and likeness of the God himself then every and each one of us is carring a God in himself and if you believe in yourself -you believe in God (no matter which one). There always will be a powers which we can't explain in that particular moment, but they will be explained at some point and yet another, totaly new unexplained powers, will occur. Believing in yourself, in your life and in the power of your knowledge is the best worship for any God.

16. LarryS

I guess the 800; 000 tutsi in Rwanda who were slaughtered in 100 days of genocide needed to believe in themselves more.
    Or the 6 million Jews that were slaughtered

And the mothers in third world nations who daily are picking bugs off their dead children as they dig a grave for them with a makeshift shovel after watching them die a painful death of starvation just needs to believe in themselves.

or the hundreds of kids in Israel blown up in school busses over the decades....needed to believe in themselves more

And if only the dead from the twin towers believed in themselves

and let's not forget gays in some Muslim countries that are publicly stoned...shot..thrown from buildings. They also need to believe in themselves.

It's funny how God at one time was so talkative now for some reason he has claimed up.

Or how about the female newborns in China that are killed upon birth every day.

The trouble is that people in the USA look around and see poor people with cell phones food stamps and television and proclaim .....just believe in yourself and god and everything will be ok..
    Well tell that to the people I listed above and see how that goes.

17. MrV

MrV Well-Known Member

LarryS.: I am curious about something.

While I echo your sentiments above, your making those statements makes me wonder just how "Jewish" you are in actually living your life.

None of my business, really, but since OAB has flamed you for your espoused religion, I'm just wondering whether you consider yourself a Jew because that is what your parents are/were, and you were raised that way, although later in life, once you were free to think for yourself, you concluded there is no god, therefore you no longer participate in services, rites and rituals?

A personal question, certainly, but your writings imply atheism / agnosticism, which is the antithesis of Judaism.

I suspect you don't participate in services much, if at all.

Whatever, life is short, then we die.

18. OneArmedBandit

OneArmedBandit Active Member

LarryS is a Jew when need be to get on his soap box & preach. Never in all my days have I seen one who's an expert in everything. NEVER
    My mom always said "empty barrels make the most noise"

19. MrV

MrV Well-Known Member

FWIW, I was raised Catholic and attended mass til my mid teens, then I walked away.

LarryS. may have had a similar history, I don't know, but unlike my case I believe Jewish people get more identity from their cultural milieu, family history and genetic heritage than do garden variety Catholics.

I can accept him considering himself a Jew even if he no longer participates in the rites, rituals and services.

20. MrV

MrV Well-Known Member

I guess it boils down to this: Is being Jewish a matter of birth, or current belief?