1. Welcome to the #1 Gambling Community with the best minds across the entire gambling spectrum. REGISTER NOW!
  2. Have a gambling question?

Post it here and our gambling experts will answer it!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Discussions in this section are assumed to be EV- as they are outside of the Advantage Play section. For EV+ discussions, please visit the Advantage Play section.
    Dismiss Notice

Poker Shadowing a Friend Pays Off

Discussion in 'Poker Forum' started by TEACH (AlSpath), Aug 30, 2016.

1. TEACH (AlSpath)

TEACH (AlSpath) Active Member Founding Member

Poker Instructor
    size matters.jpg Recently an old friend of mine, from back in the PokerSchoolOnline days, contacted me again about the state of his "live game." We talked and talked and finally I said, allow me to shadow you twice online (sit n go's), and I will see if I can identify what you might be doing right and incorrectly, so you can work on correcting or eliminating the leak/hole.

The first session was unremarkable and if anything, his concept of betting amounts, and position betting stood out, in a negative manner. So, we talked again and in particular about betting "in position" more often, and betting the proper amount (in relationship to the pot size and his position).

Then we met again online, talked on Skype, as he played another sit n go. I asked him questions as he went along (after the hand had completed), and tested his knowledge of marking other players (TAG, LAG, etc.), since no HUD was being used.

What I did not tell him was that I sat in seat at the table under my 1Radar1 name at this particular site and sat out the entire time he was playing. At one point I asked him to go around the table and tell me how he labeled/marked his opponents. He said that Radar was very tight (he was correct-sitting out). Well, he went out 6th and I told him that I was in fact 1Radar1 and now I would play the rest of the tournament with the chips I had remaining (after being blinded down until this point).

I pointed out that he and three others were eliminated while I did not play, showing that you can stay away from trouble early and still be viable. I needed to chip up, double up, and I did, using position and my remaining chips. Then I eliminated another small stack, and suddenly another went out and I was on the bubble, having played 2 hands so far.

The bubble did not last long as two battled and one lost, and I was in the money, but not done. I pointed out that 20% of the prize pool was enough to cover my entry, and just a bit for me, but not enough for a good ROI (return of investment), or profit as one might put it.

So I wanted 2nd (30%) or 1st (50%) and I was determined to allow the other two to battle at times, not worrying who won or chipped up, only that one went short on chips so I or my other opponent could put them on the rail. And it happened, and head's up went two hands and I fortunately eliminated the last person in my way to 50% payout.

What he took from this session was patience, discipline, using position, try not to be out of position unless with a bigger hand, and bet sizing, his and his opponents.

As Paul Harvey would say, and now for the rest of the story, Page 2!

David was preparing to play the $360 event at Planet Hollywood last weekend with his prep with me. Yesterday David emailed me with great news and information about his play. There were over 750 runners and he was eliminated in the money at around 30th place.

He felt in control and patient the entire event, played strong from position, and lost only hands he was "ahead." His excitement and joy made me feel very good inside, and his passion to learn and advance or surely on the right track now. He can do it, he knows he can, and he will continue to check in, tune-up his game, and score some bigger cashes. As it was, the win over seven hundred was very impressive, and if one or two critical hands down the stretch would have fallen his way, who knows how far it would have taken him.

As a result of his cash, we are going to meet up again and talk about his remaining chip stack, the blinds at the time of his departure, and ladder climbing (when was the next bump up in payout). I look forward to his interest, input and inquiring mind. Way to go David, you did it, you know how it's done, so imprint this formula in your brain and begin to repeat it time and time again.

Good luck Teach!

P.S. I am running a special for "Labor Day" with my shadowing program. I will provide 3 sessions (cash or stt), or a mix, for an advanced payment via paypal for $125. (Players, I usually require $125 per session, so it's a super offer. Once secured, you pick the dates in Sept. or Oct. to get together to improve your game quickly. It's a great gift you also can gift a friend or loved one, and absolutely you can pay for it now and give the receiver a "gift note" at Christmas, their birthday, or any other special occasion.