1. Welcome to the #1 Gambling Community with the best minds across the entire gambling spectrum. REGISTER NOW!
  2. Have a gambling question?

Post it here and our gambling experts will answer it!
    Dismiss Notice

Lounge Temple Flash Mob Reportage

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by redietz, Oct 25, 2016.

1. redietz

redietz Well-Known Member

A large group of teens and juveniles, numbering at least 100, split into smaller groups and went around attacking people in Philadelphia Saturday.

Being familiar with Philadelphia, and reading the victim descriptions, it seemed almost certain to me that the attackers, as young as eight, were black and the victims were white.

Amazingly, ethnicity was not mentioned in any of the high profile online stories. So I was left to guess whether I was correct in my assumption until I finally read a quote from a victim's father who said his daughter was attacked by a group of 30 to 40 young blacks. Ethnicity, however, was mentioned only in the quote, and not in the body of the story.

One would think it would be in the lead paragraph.

But somehow, some way, references to ethnicity were left out of virtually all the initial stories. This is so odd from a journalistic perspective that I simply cannot believe it's coincidence. What kind of reporting is this? No self-respecting journalist would leave ethnicity out of the storyline.

In case you're wondering, I consider myself left of Marx, but I have been a journalism major.

2. redietz

redietz Well-Known Member

Evidently the main events occurred Friday, but there had been similar events stretching back at least a week. Coverage seems to be seriously lacking.

A couple of questions arise:

Are these hate crimes? They fit the definition.
    What would the reportage be like if race were reversed?
    Why is this a bigger international story than national story?