1. Welcome to the #1 Gambling Community with the best minds across the entire gambling spectrum. REGISTER NOW!
  2. Have a gambling question?

Post it here and our gambling experts will answer it!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Discussions in this section are assumed to be EV- as they are outside of the Advantage Play section. For EV+ discussions, please visit the Advantage Play section.
    Dismiss Notice

Blackjack The Doorman

Discussion in 'Blackjack Forum' started by Tater, Nov 17, 2021.

1. Tater

Tater Well-Known Member

This may not seem to have anything to do with blackjack. It depends on if I write more later. But this was something that happened yesterday and thought it was worth sharing.

I was walking into Atlantis. A young lady was on crutches coming towards me from the opposite direction. Her right leg was gone from the knee.

We arrived at the stairway at the same time. I waited at the top of the stairs to hold the door open for her. I can't tell you how many times I've went up and down those stairs. Never thought about how many. But this girl was very much aware as she negotiated those 7 steps.

She was athletic. She had to lean on her crutches with her full body weight and lift her left (only) leg to the next step. She apologized for taking so long and explained this was her first day on crutches. So whatever happened that took her leg was recent.

I didn't know how to help her. It was something she had to do on her own and hopefully not fall flat on her face. Good news is she made it and thanked me for holding the door.

But I'm the one who should be thanking her. She opened life's door for me that allowed me to witness the young ladies courage and great attitude.

She went to her left to face her next task of the escalator. I went straight ahead to do whatever it was I deemed important at the time.

I hope and believe she will be okay and endure whatever challenges are forthcoming. I KNOW I'm a better person from our brief encounter.

2. Tater

Tater Well-Known Member

In all the years/decades involved in sports, I've never witnessed anything close to yesterday. And she did completed the task 7 times. Failure was not an option..
    The top step was her biggest challenge because there were no rails. She focused on that one just a few seconds longer.

I wished I would've put it together quick enough to say "awesome job."

The fact she was headed directly to the escalator leading to the 2nd floor suggests her purpose was not gambling. There are convention and meeting rooms, an arcade, and a nice eating place known for happy hour etc.

In Blackjack, we have a choice. She didn't. And is doing a masterful job with the hand life dealt her

Punkcity likes this.
  3. Punkcity

Punkcity Well-Known Member

CEO, manager of sublease my account name.inc
    Troll tag team one accounts head , Skipptophia.
    Good thread.
    Kinda shines a different light on the kewlj saga, places it exactly where it should be. This of course would be beyond his comprehension. Imho.

We often get to witness things that can be truly humbling, yet even fewer times do we let it elevate ourself to understand the truest sense of grace and courage displayed by the personal fortitude of that young lady you mentioned. Even rarer for the observer to reflect on what was just witnessed and understand the profoundness of the of the situation.

If more of us could do so more often then there would be so many more better persons rather than just so few.
    Good post thank you for sharing.
    Cheers

Tater likes this.
  4. Tater

Tater Well-Known Member

Thanks PC. I was merely bestowed the honor and privilege of holding the door for this extraordinary young lady. My mind was on getting hot wings, a beer, and watching the Warriors VS Nets game with the guys.

Point is, one never knows when it's coming. Sadly, I almost missed it. The full impact didn't hit me until I woke up at 3am.

If it was a sporting event she would receive a standing ovation and deservedly so.

But I think, in life, she would simply say "pay it forward."

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    Punkcity likes this.
  5. Punkcity

Punkcity Well-Known Member

CEO, manager of sublease my account name.inc
    Troll tag team one accounts head , Skipptophia.
    Lol.
    Beer o’clock is a great filtration system, lol, I’ve had many a epiphany ( and a few Mary , some Jane couple of Lee’s , lol) at 3am, usually gone by midday replaced by a dry pallet and throbbing temples with the usual aversion to daylight.
    Jokes aside.
    At least you managed to retain the message that many would miss. Good work, another wonder of life to contemplate when you have a quiet moment. Hopefully you have many. Cheers

6. Tater

Tater Well-Known Member

Yes. Sometimes too many quiet moments to reflect. When we are raising our kids, the constant questions in my mind were, how am I going to do this? And then, how am I going to get it all done?

Then, when the youngest one, leaves the nest, the question becomes WTF am I going to do now?

So blackjack became is big part of my life. But certainly not the "only" thing.

Always look forward to reading your posts PC. You have a way with words. Thumbs up.