1. Welcome to the #1 Gambling Community with the best minds across the entire gambling spectrum. REGISTER NOW!
  2. Have a gambling question?

Post it here and our gambling experts will answer it!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Discussions in this section are assumed to be EV- as they are outside of the Advantage Play section. For EV+ discussions, please visit the Advantage Play section.
    Dismiss Notice

Poker Trouble Hands - Hoping To Hear About Yours

Discussion in 'Poker Forum' started by TEACH (AlSpath), Apr 2, 2015.

1. TEACH (AlSpath)

TEACH (AlSpath) Active Member Founding Member

Poker Instructor
    Cash game (for this thread a 1/2NL game, you are sitting with 255 chips of your 300 buyin).

What hands do you say to yourself (inside voice, lol), ah shit, these hands always get me in trouble?

Note: please list the hands, you may have 1 or 2, or maybe 5 or 6 that give you fits, just name them and add any comments about them or the way they play for you or anyone (what you observe). If you want to include position in your attempt to play them, be my guest.

BTW, they can can be big pairs and big cards too, WHAT are the cards in a cash game that cause you grief?
    win-or-lose-directions-10067206.jpg

2. DRAikens

DRAikens Member Lineage to Founders

Maintence tech / operator
    ace king suited or off suit, this is the hand that tends to do the most to me,. these are top cards, yet they can burn you hard,. big pairs , i have learned i like winning them before the flop, not after, after tends to have bad results unless i make a set,. a coordinated board, tends to cost, if there is two to a flush or straight most will go for them,.

3. The Sarge

The Sarge Member

military poker coach in training
    AJ suited or off suit on button have 3 players raise it too $12 in 1-2 game .I call then I see flop and K-hrts-10 hrts-3 spade now ?? Here where I get in trouble 2 callers raise it too $20 like $60 in the pot do I put in the $20 hoping catch a Q or do I push it raise it up too $60 too get to fold ??
    Teach me Teach

4. TEACH (AlSpath)

TEACH (AlSpath) Active Member Founding Member

Poker Instructor
    first off, I fold pre-flop. what do you believe the raiser and two callers have? I'd say a better ace or a pair and you are not getting great odds and are most likely behind.

having said that, you call and the flop is "dynamic" and you are a big dog (4 outs), about a 16% chance of making the straight on the turn. Your ace is probably compromised as I would believe AQ or AK is out there too.

I'd fold the flop too. Sorry, not putting money in behind, I want my opponents doing that for me.

5. DRAikens

DRAikens Member Lineage to Founders

Maintence tech / operator
    have to agree with teach on that one,. today is an example of me not laying cards down to a maniac player,. moral to this story even maniac get good hands,. i made it to final table and blew it to a maniac who i thought was making a move on me,. two mistakes a couple hands earlier i could have taken him out instead he gets a pair of kings,. he was in the blinds i was in the cutoff,. with ace queen,. i raised,. and he put me all in,. i should have laid them down, very stupid play,. i was two people off the money,. and there were 3 people with smaller stacks than me,. sorry sarge, but ace ten ace jack ace queen or ace king all need a flop., if that happens before the flop i will lay it down,. even a pair of pocket twos are ahead of them hands before the flop,. these are hands you have to hit; better to play them cheep until flop or fold to a re-raise,. lessons can cost at the table,. i played at the Colorado bell ,. this week is the river run , with all the motor cycles,. i will try again tomorrow., today is Saturday April 26th