1. Welcome to the #1 Gambling Community with the best minds across the entire gambling spectrum. REGISTER NOW!
  2. Have a gambling question?

Post it here and our gambling experts will answer it!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Discussions in this section are assumed to be EV- as they are outside of the Advantage Play section. For EV+ discussions, please visit the Advantage Play section.
    Dismiss Notice

Poker When to Shove

Discussion in 'Poker Forum' started by robert strong, Apr 1, 2015.

1. robert strong

robert strong Member Lineage to Founders

If your at the final table or any for that matter do you believe in theary of 10 blinds or less shove no matter what or do you grind it out to the last chip?

2. JWK24

JWK24 New Member Lineage to Founders

It totally depends on the type of tournament, blind structure, stacks and how the others were playing. I may go at 10bb, I may go at 15-20bb or even more.. or as low as 3-5bb in a satty. As with most things in poker... it depends.

3. TEACH (AlSpath)

TEACH (AlSpath) Active Member Founding Member

Poker Instructor
    When at the final table (your example) and 10BB or less, you are looking to get your money in GOOD (first if your chips are still enough to carry a bit of weight against some remaining opponents), or near last (last), if a big hand so you might double or triple up.

If you limp with less than 10BB's it should be obvious to the table you want action and have a hand, so by shoving, you remove that eliminate and they may think you are making a stand with any pair (low ones too), two painted cards, a single ace, or even to connected suited cards and they will come at you. Sometimes you must take the risk of allowing an extra opponent in, in order to triple up and get back in the game, however, there are times you just want one on one, like when you are in LP and against the button and blinds, take them on even with a K high in some instances, or make them fold and get some additional chips. It's best that they are medium stacked. Here's why: short stacks and big stacks make stands, they don't allow 10BB players to make plays without confrontation. Medium stakes LOVE where they are and will only risk chips if they feel they are ahead, so they fold a lot, hence attack the medium stakes, they don't want to become YOU!

4. Spider

Spider Active Member Founding Member

Great advice Teach, thanks.

5. TEACH (AlSpath)

TEACH (AlSpath) Active Member Founding Member

Poker Instructor
    Edit, change eliminate to element, second paragraph, second line. I posted and then had a phone call and didn't reread and catch error.

6. The Sarge

The Sarge Member

military poker coach in training
    I agree with the Teach you have too chip up if your short stack since the big stacks will push there weight around ..Also what happen your last hand might be important to get you some chips ? Did you knock out a player and have a big hand and the table knows that ..I go for it every final table take the advantage when you can ..You have to take a stand if short stack .Also a lot players will play cautious to get to the money .You made it the final table now change gears and go get it..

7. robert strong

robert strong Member Lineage to Founders

I personally believe a chip and a chair, if I have a real hand or believe that I can steal I will but I will alot grind it out especially at final table, I've been told that when Im low stack I am the hardest to knock out because of how I play.