1. Welcome to the #1 Gambling Community with the best minds across the entire gambling spectrum. REGISTER NOW!
  2. Have a gambling question?

Post it here and our gambling experts will answer it!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Discussions in this section are assumed to be EV- as they are outside of the Advantage Play section. For EV+ discussions, please visit the Advantage Play section.
    Dismiss Notice

Poker $2-$5 NLHoldEm

Discussion in 'Poker Forum' started by TripleDiamond, Jun 27, 2016.

1. TripleDiamond

TripleDiamond New Member

Being a women and playing in $2-$5 Holdem I found it hard to get respect at first. Now I'm a regular some people still dislike when I take all the money.
    My favorite trick is to show my bluffs.

2. LarryS

LarryS Compulsive Liar Compulsive Liar

In my opinion , it feels good to show bluffs, but its never good practice. Yes you might feel like you are rubbing their lack of respect in their faces....but in the end the more info you give, the more they can use agasint you.

When you watch the pros play on tv, ...they almost never show their hands..and if they do there is a method to their madness.

By showing, the next time you bluff, they might call you and you lose the hand to a weak pair. Its better that they think you are very lucky and have the nuts, or a real good hand.

If you almost never bluff...and you want to show it..thats fine. Because when you have the nuts, you want people to call you thinking you are bluffing.

But if you incorporate bluffing strategically into your regular plan of action...showing the bluff can only hurt you.

3. TripleDiamond

TripleDiamond New Member

I play in regular games at Bossier & I win much more than I lose. Female players in that neck of the woods are few & far between.
    In Vegas I only play at the Venetian.

4. LarryS

Any reason only the venetian?

5. TripleDiamond

TripleDiamond New Member

Bounty Tournaments Tues-Thurs-Fri-Sat

6. TripleDiamond

TripleDiamond New Member

I also enjoy PLO

7. LarryS

I am not yet as good as I can be at Holdem....so I refrain from branching out.

Plus in reno where I do most of my poker play, there is a rare table available.for PLO....and if there is one...I suspect those people would be alot more experienced than me.....I would be the "Fish"

8. Mission146

Mission146 Well-Known Member

I agree with 100% of what LarryS said in his first response to the OP. This is especially true if you are potentially playing with skilled or semi-skilled players, and unless you know the people with whom you are playing personally, you should assume that there are some decent players at the table. Trust me, unless you are among the best, you give enough information to the other players unintentionally so you should generally avoid adding to that by volunteering information.

I also agree with the caveat that you might show a bluff if you rarely bluff, and that is why it is often advantageous to bluff early-on (if there are other reasons to believe you can steal one) if you are at a table of people who you have not played with before. From there, you can revert to playing your normal tight-aggressive (that's what it should be anyway) game without bluffing too much and it will take a few showdowns (generally) for people to be onto the fact that you are generally not bluffing.