1. Welcome to the #1 Gambling Community with the best minds across the entire gambling spectrum. REGISTER NOW!
  2. Have a gambling question?

Post it here and our gambling experts will answer it!
    Dismiss Notice

Lounge 4 colorado shooting victims owe 700,000

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by LarryS, Sep 1, 2016.

1. RS

RS Member

And the $2.7M wasn't necessarily something that was done because she deserved it, but as a punishment to McDs.

2. RS

RS Member

One more thing --- the courts found McDonald's to be 80% responsible and the woman to be 20% responsible, knocking the $200k down to $160k.

She didn't put the coffee on the dashboard, but between her legs. And I don't think the car she was in had cup holders or an area to rest the cup.

EDIT: And I hope you know what PUNITIVE DAMAGES means and their (its?) purpose.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  3. LarryS

LarryS Compulsive Liar Compulsive Liar

why do you "hope". It shouldnt mean this much to you.
    Since your reading comprehension is dismal, sitting at home "hoping" that I understand punitive damages, should be the least of your concerns.

Yes I understand punitive damages. Punitive damages awarded by juries who feel if bad things happen to good people someone has to pay....and pay big.....are what makes healthcare in this country astronomically high compared to mexico or canada. Its why people get precriptions and medical procedures in mexico and canada rather than in their own back yard.

Its like me buying bullets at Walmart, and Then I load my gun, and pointit to my head and it goes off by mistake.....and we find that the bullets sold to me were high powered exploding bullets sold in regular bullet packaging.....My skul is totall blown apart.....with a regular bullet there is a chance i would live....my family sues,....and gets 50 million........or maybe 100 million.....because this mistake happened before.

If people were held responsible for their own stupidity, we would be living a much better life in this country.

4. LarryS

A South Carolina woman has won her multi-million dollar case against Target after being stuck by a needle in the store's parking lot.

According to court documents she parked and had gotten out of her vehicle when her daughter picked up a hypodermic needle. The woman swatted the needle out of her daughter's hand and when she did, the needle stuck her in her right palm. She reported the incident to an employee and was later tested for HIV and Hepatitis. She was negative for both diseases.

The woman has been awarded more than $4.6 million."

its always someone elses fault......

doesnt matter who's idea these lawsuits are....the awards in this country cost us all significantly.

5. RS

RS Member

Then use examples that actually make sense to support your thoughts (ie: perhaps Target case and/or Aurora movie theatre ... etc., IF it's actually true). But your stance is extremely weakened when you toss in a very poor example that doesn't help your case at all. Your poor example shows a lack of respect to those who are harmed/damaged, under the guise "someone got hurt so someone has to pay" -- as if the harmed person never has a legitimate reason to sue.

6. LarryS

the idea of personal responsibility and not getting a massive handout for something you had total control over......prevails.
    If a mcdonalds employee served the coffee and spilled it on the lap at the person sitting at a talbe..I can see that. But this is a perfect example of juries awarding massive damages to people. Its an americanissue that you dont see elsewhere,
    Afterall its a face less company.....they are not ordering Sol from Sols coffee shop to pay almost 3 mil....nope its a big rich company so they can afford millions.
    Still a perfect example of a person who deserved to win, where a Judge had the good sense to greatly reduce the award that the jury erroneously gave.
    Even the judge agreed with my view.
    Even the Judge saw that this is a court of law and not a lottery.

7. MrV

MrV Well-Known Member

attorney at law (retired)
    The law evolves constantly, so yes, some modification or "reform" will occur.

But I see no need to set a maximum amount: judges have the qualified right to reduce what they consider to be clearly inappropriate / excessive jury awards via remititur.

8. RS

RS Member

You're implying the woman is 100% at fault and McDonald's is not at fault at all. Who's going to keep McDonald's accountable for their actions? They should be helpdresponsible for their actions, too.

9. LarryS

your comprehension fails you again.

If she was 100 percent at fault she would have no basis for a suit and get no award......did I ever say that should have been the case>
    I wont give you the answer, I will let you figure that out for yourself based on my posts.
    you are either very slow mentally or you are lazy.
    either way, its ridiculous to try to debate a person with either quality.

10. RS

RS Member

You are implying something that is not true. No shit she wouldn't have won if she was entirely at fault. That's my point.