1. Welcome to the #1 Gambling Community with the best minds across the entire gambling spectrum. REGISTER NOW!
  2. Have a gambling question?

Post it here and our gambling experts will answer it!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Discussions in this section are assumed to be EV- as they are outside of the Advantage Play section. For EV+ discussions, please visit the Advantage Play section.
    Dismiss Notice

Poker Best strategy for overly tight final table with med to short stack

Discussion in 'Poker Forum' started by rule72, May 20, 2016.

1. rule72

rule72 Guest

This seems to be a growing problem for me in a live MTT. (Reason for registering today at cardschat). The following is the latest example of what's been happening the last couple months: $65 no limit, reentry, 10k in chip to start. Payout is for the top five. At beginning of final table a total of 470K chips in play, I'm med stack and two biggest stacks on my immediate left. After an hour at the final table still 10 players. Biggest stack is my immediate right (165k), second biggest is 2nd to my left, I'm 5th stack at 40k and 10th stack is 25k. Blinds are 8k/16k, no antes, I'm close to being the most aggressive player push/folding medium strength hands since the previous level. My playing style is Harrington/Sklansky with adjustments depending on the villain's style.

In the past those short stacks used to give up sooner now they seem happy to blind into the cash if they can, like 3-5 big blinds with anything just before they're back into the blinds. Typically with 5 smaller stacks I'd be tighter.

Two questions: Is my more aggressive strategy correct even though there are five smaller stacks? Second, we did a ten way equal chop and I got 25% more than 5th place pays, is that a good deal for me or should I pass on the chop? I think it was a good deal.

Source.