1. Welcome to the #1 Gambling Community with the best minds across the entire gambling spectrum. REGISTER NOW!
  2. Have a gambling question?

Post it here and our gambling experts will answer it!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Discussions in this section are assumed to be EV- as they are outside of the Advantage Play section. For EV+ discussions, please visit the Advantage Play section.
    Dismiss Notice

Poker Describe your greatest strength and your biggest challenge

Discussion in 'Poker Forum' started by Donna Blevins, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Donna Blevins

Donna Blevins Member Founding Member

Poker MindShift Coach
    The first couple of thing I'd like to hear from you is about your game:
    1. What is your greatest strength playing cash and in a tournament? Often it differs.
    2. What is your biggest challenge in both games? I'll jump back on tomorrow and respond.
    I'd appreciate details. The more specifics you describe, your leaks will likely appear.

Cya :)

2. Mike Caro

Mike Caro New Member Founding Member

Founder of Mike Caro University of Poker
    Hi, Donna --

Glad to see you here.

(1) My greatest strength is that I cheer for my opponents and don't care if I lose. Doing this won't change the cards, but it's a mental trick I teach to keep from being bothered by bad beats.

If you cheer for opponents and they win, you're rooting for the winning side. If they lose, you get a consolation prize -- the pot. I know how insane that sounds at first, but it actually works and it's why I've been credited for never getting upset in poker games.

(2) I don't know what you mean by "both games," so I'll leave that one for others to answer.

Straight Flushes,
    Mike Caro

3. letsdothis68

letsdothis68 New Member Lineage to Founders

Certified Nurse Aide
    one of my strengths in playing is being able to determine what type of player i am playing which better helps in determining their range of hands they will play from their position....post flop i can make adjustments accordingly to determine where they are at.......i am really good at math and can instantly determine my outs and % of hitting.......

my challenge in both games is getting the God complex when i am running hot and that interferes with my ability to read my opponents.....2 prime examples are mtts....2nd break in one i had amassed 180k chips and 2nd in chips was at 33k......i ended finished like 13th because i was making bad calls against shorter stacks once in the money (i.e UTG shove 20% of my stack at me and i got AQ off) any other time i just fold hand being i was UTG+1 but because i had so many chips i called and even tho it was a coin flip against his 77. the fault lies 7 more to act and i could got into more trouble but being CL with like 18 to go i got sidetracked and went downhill from there......
    the 2nd MTT was same way amassed so many chips i had like 100k over 2nd in chips but this one i didnt even cash because i was gettin involved into hands i would have normally folded due to action. this MTT i actually bubbled 2 spots outside the money.......

i will think about this post some more and will post again in this, it is 2 really good questions, but my game differs from 9 table cash and 6max

4. Donna Blevins

Poker MindShift Coach
    You too Mike! Thanks much for replying. I loved how you went into explaining your celebrate-their-win mindset on my podcast. You personally taught me to do that in 2000 and it dramatically shifted my game to the better. I like weird :)

Ref "both games"... Cash vs tournament style. People often shift their game differently.

A Big Girl hug!

5. Donna Blevins

Poker MindShift Coach
    The way you journal about your game is one of the best ways to strengthen and plug your leaks. Smart. Really smart.

I look forward to more of your clarity.

BTW simply acknowledging your God complex is a great way to disconnect rather than fuel it.

6. TEACH (AlSpath)

TEACH (AlSpath) Active Member Founding Member

Poker Instructor
    My greatest strength is I watch everything, listen to everything, remember everything about opponents.

When I am not in a hand, I still am "in the hand" watching and putting players on ranges of hands and narrowing it down as betting takes place. This is in both cash and tournaments.

My biggest challenge is like many of you, entering large field tournaments that have unlimited rebuys and add-ons. Those first two hours online are quite interested to traverse.

I usually set my limit on rebuys or an add-on. I rarely do both, and sometimes I challenge myself early and often, NOT to need either. I see players taking add-ons when they are so far in front it makes not difference, and vice-versa, some take add-ons and it does not make a significant change in their position and sometimes leaves them still a very short stack compared to the field.

Also great to see Mike Caro chiming in!

Leon Macfayden and Donna Blevins like this.
  7. Donna Blevins

Poker MindShift Coach
    Thanks for opening up and sharing Teach, Al Spath!

My biggest strength: awareness...stay in the moment. I'm consistent. In live play, I wait for action to get to me before looking at my cards. My cards matter very little. Other players actions do.

My greatest challenge: Long tournaments when I've overlooked shifting my bio clock. Family care requires very early rising. In order to compete, smart prep is adding midday naps and moving bedtime later and later.

8. DRAikens

DRAikens Member Lineage to Founders

Maintence tech / operator
    no strengths , greatest challenge is , keeping track of the board and what others do, trying not to be a action person that means curbing my aggression,.

9. Donna Blevins

Poker MindShift Coach
    Yes, I promise. You do have some strengths. Every person does.

Step back and look at your game. Find ypur strengths. Once identified, just noticing them will energize them.

Leon Macfayden likes this.
  10. oliverwilliams

oliverwilliams New Member

My best strength is that I dont really get angry anymore if I lose. When I started gambling, every time I lost some money I would get really angry and if you're going to be part of the industry, this is something you need to learn how to control, because even if we don't like it, sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

11. Gullywin

Gullywin Member

One of my most prominent strengths is my awareness, as I strive to remain fully present in the moment. I exhibit consistency by refraining from examining my cards in live play until it is my turn to act. The value of my own cards is of minimal importance compared to the actions of other players.

However, I do encounter a significant challenge during long tournaments when I neglect to adjust my biological clock accordingly. My responsibilities for family care necessitate early mornings. To effectively compete, I have devised a smart strategy that involves incorporating midday naps and gradually shifting my bedtime to a later hour.

12. John E Rainwater

John E Rainwater New Member

My greatest strength is love for others, the most difficult task is to love everyone

13. Rodrigueztoman

Rodrigueztoman New Member

Strength is - I try to be sensible while playing
    Difficulty is people who come in and do all in on the first hand.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2024
  14. Bankroll BigBang

Bankroll BigBang New Member

1. Patience and theorycal kwnoledges
    2. Running my club on club gg, as I love this game and it would be great to make the players happy

15. JamMe

JamMe New Member

My strength - I don't suffer about losing.
    My weakness - I don't enjoy a long losing streak.

Still trying to find a balance between these two extremes.