1. Welcome to the #1 Gambling Community with the best minds across the entire gambling spectrum. REGISTER NOW!
  2. Have a gambling question?

Post it here and our gambling experts will answer it!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Discussions in this section are assumed to be EV- as they are outside of the Advantage Play section. For EV+ discussions, please visit the Advantage Play section.
    Dismiss Notice

Poker Going up against a Set with an Overpair

Discussion in 'Poker Forum' started by OloMeister, Dec 24, 2018.

1. OloMeister

OloMeister Guest

More than focusing on a specific hand, in this post I want to focus on the general topic of going raising or calling all-in with an overpair and finding out you are almost drawing dead.

I think the main question would be if you could ever get away from this spot or if it's just a cooler and you should not pay much attention to it.
    Of course in a spot where you are quite short and Villain is a very aggressive player post-flop you really cannot fold your overpair. But in instances where the effective stack is over 100BBs and you have just registered the tournament, does it make sense to fold an overpair to a flop- or turn-reraise-shove on a not very draw-heavy board?

I know that most of the time you might be up against a smaller overpair, top pair or whatever, and when I filter for those spots in PT4 the BBs won per hand is huge... But I still wonder if those hands where I was up against sets ( or two pair ) and lost over 100BBs and the tournament live could have been avoided.

I would like to hear your opinion on this topic and if you do fold overpairs in these kind of spots. ( And like I said before, I don't mean spots where the board is very draw-heavy or Villain is normally very passive or when you have a read on your opponent )

:D

Source.

2. TEACH (AlSpath)

TEACH (AlSpath) Active Member Founding Member

Poker Instructor
    You answered it yourself: "and you have just registered the tournament"

You can't win the event, you can only lose and go out or be close to out, or have some extra chips early which often does not translate to a win. FOLD

3. Spider

Spider Active Member Founding Member

As per Teach’s point above I would fold this early in the Tournament and play tight.