1. Welcome to the #1 Gambling Community with the best minds across the entire gambling spectrum. REGISTER NOW!
  2. Have a gambling question?

Post it here and our gambling experts will answer it!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Discussions in this section are assumed to be EV- as they are outside of the Advantage Play section. For EV+ discussions, please visit the Advantage Play section.
    Dismiss Notice

Misc Is there such a thing as a "professional" gambler? Are Advantage Players "professionals"?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Gambling Forum' started by MrV, Nov 8, 2016.

1. NeonSun

NeonSun New Member

How would one prove themselves a professional artist? I would assume either others dubb you such or you make a living

mr j likes this.
  2. DRAikens

DRAikens Member Lineage to Founders

Maintence tech / operator
    professional gambler is a person that makes a living at gambling. from what i have heard and read they will gamble on just about anything so long as the odds favor them. as for them being advantage players that is what makes them a winner, taking advantage of the weakness of others or lack of knowledge of a game or situation. they may even have an unknown edge about something they bet on.

3. Baccarat man

Baccarat man Member

Sales assistant
    Professional gamblers do exist and they are more frequent than people think because most professional gamblers/big punters are very quiet about there gambling habits and generally keep a very low profile especially in sports gambling.Big gamblers dont bet often in sports but when they do they bet HUGE!!!Big sporting events like Cheltenham horse racing, Kentucky Derby,The super bowl,rugby world cup are examples of when massive wagers start to make an appearance.There was some massive bets on the conor mc Gregor v mayweather fight in excess of a million so I read.

4. eugene

eugene Well-Known Member

Sports betting has to be one of the best ways to win long term if you have the discipline and ability to pick out the absolute elite of their chosen field. There are loads of examples in my lifetime from when I started watching sport back in the 70's.

late 70's/early 80's....Navratilova at Wimbledon.
    late 70's/early 80's...West Indies cricket team.
    90's...Stephen Hendry (snooker player)
    90's....Australian cricket team.
    2000+....Schumacher (F1)
    2000+....Phil Taylor (darts)
    These are just a few examples of extraordinary talented individuals/teams who had that aura of invincibility about them.

5. DRAikens

i think the term professional gambler, is miss leading, gambling on chance events is gambling with the hopes of getting lucky. a lot of people who do this will follow certain sport events learn habits and anything that might give them an edge, there is a term used called copper the bet if i remember the term right. this is betting the same event in such a way as to minimize losses. yet to me a true professional gambler is someone who knows the odds and can use a certain amount of skill to help with the out come of the event. i would say true professionals of the past were people like jimmy the Greek or Amarillo slim Preston. and most poker pros can be called professionals. gambling the word pretty much denotes taking a chance, usually with money involved.

6. DRAikens

i would say a professional is someone who is at the top of their trade and knows it inside out, and who makes a living at the type of work they do.
    also professional denotes a high level of skill.

7. BUZZARD

BUZZARD Active Member Lineage to Founders

INDEPENDENT PRODUCT DEVELOPER
    professional engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as a pastime. professional whore, junkie. thief. hit mam, and lowest of the low professional politican

8. e_abrams

e_abrams New Member

If one is living off their gambling profits alone then they are a professional gambler, in my opinion.

9. Nathan Detroit

Nathan Detroit Well-Known Member Founding Member

To dream the impossible dream .......

Enjoy life as a recreational gambler and play like a professional ,,,,with one foot pointed towards the door either winning or losing .

ND

10. e_abrams

e_abrams New Member

I think a lot of people have that dream but very few, if any, actually realize it.