1. Welcome to the #1 Gambling Community with the best minds across the entire gambling spectrum. REGISTER NOW!
  2. Have a gambling question?

Post it here and our gambling experts will answer it!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Discussions in this section are assumed to be EV- as they are outside of the Advantage Play section. For EV+ discussions, please visit the Advantage Play section.
    Dismiss Notice

Blackjack Number of players at the table

Discussion in 'Blackjack Forum' started by Talmadge, May 28, 2017.

1. Talmadge

Talmadge New Member

Just wanted to get other members thoughts and opinions on the maximum number of players that they would consider playing at the table with before it becomes too many. This is in regards to both 6D and DD.
    Obviously a back counting style and entering at a predetermined TC would need at least one player haha
    Thanks all :)

2. KewlJ

KewlJ Well-Known Member

I prefer 1 or 2. On 6 deck games I will go a high as 3. Any more than 2 at double deck, minimizes rounds at positive counts and any more that 2 or 3 at shoe games, just slows the game. Especially games with side bets, which are most games now-a-days.

I don't wong into most games, but enter play at the shuffle (beginning of shoe), so my preference isn't about needing a player to play while I back count. But I do need at least one player because I try to enter the game as quietly as possible, bringing chips with me rather than buying in (chip inventory). I don't want the dealer to have to announce my presence to the pit, which they do with buy-ins and when you are the only player (announcing shuffle).

I do exit aggressively (wong out), exiting quietly with chips in hand, so it is better for me if the game just continues on, rather than stopping because I am the only person, so again at least 1 other.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  3. Talmadge

Talmadge New Member

At first i was expecting you to say that you prefer heads up for more hands per hour but after reading through all of your response describing your techniques, i can now see how you need at least one other player at the table. They are all great ways to minimise your exposure to the pit. I didnt even think about having one other player left at the table when you wong out of negative counts so the game continues and you may slip away unnoticed. If you were the only player at the table and then wong out and leave the dealer standing there, i can now picture the pit critter coming over asking how much the previous player left with or lost which may create some interest.
    These are all great tips which i will try and use on my next trip out to Vegas.
    I think i was being too picky on my first recent trip there. I was looking for no more than two other players on 6D (which was hard at times on $10 tables) and when i was playing $25 DD, i was only playing heads up (which made wonging out negative counts like TC-4 or TC-5 fairly common and maybe too memorable)
    I was wondering in DD how far negative you let the count drop before exiting? Does it depend on how many rounds are left?
    Thanks mate :)

4. SplitFaceDisaster

SplitFaceDisaster New Member

The following may help you decide on a personal guideline in terms of a maximum limit on how many others players to play with. I believe most people aim for at least 100 rounds an hour, so the study will give you an idea of how many you`ll get with different amounts of players. KewlJ`s cutoff preference is in line with that, but I think I remember hearing him say he has his own way of estimating the number of rounds too. Of course with certain dealers and players that are slower than average, the number of rounds below will be less (maybe even way less!). The following is from Stanford Wong`s "Professional Blackjack".

Rounds per hour study:
    Study specs: 100 card cut. 100 seconds per shuffle is the average. For each round, the average is: 12 seconds for
    the dealer and first player, and 7 additional seconds for each additional player.
    # of players/# of rounds
    1 248
    2 158
    3 116
    4 91
    5 76
    6 64
    7 56

5. AceTen

AceTen New Member

Single deck RO6 two players, double and six deck three player, thats counting myself

6. Talmadge

Talmadge New Member

Thanks for the heads up (no pun intended) on those numbers. It looks like from the other answers, that two other players at the table is about the most that you would play with. The next time i head to vegas, i wont be as fussy only looking for heads up on the DD games.