1. Welcome to the #1 Gambling Community with the best minds across the entire gambling spectrum. REGISTER NOW!
  2. Have a gambling question?

Post it here and our gambling experts will answer it!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Discussions in this section are assumed to be EV- as they are outside of the Advantage Play section. For EV+ discussions, please visit the Advantage Play section.
    Dismiss Notice

Poker Painting a Story

Discussion in 'Poker Forum' started by klickitat, Apr 29, 2016.

1. klickitat

klickitat Guest

I play small live tournaments as online is illegal for me where I live.

So I have been going into these tournaments and try to paint a picture as a NIT till the first two breaks. I play super tight and try to make sure my great cards show. I will back down and check if I feel I am pushing my opponent out before the river and take a chance on loosing a small hand to do it. If I get an unexpected fold I will even flip my cards. I make comments sometimes about other people's cards and say things like "Wow, you've got big balls" or "How do you keep your nerve opening with 88?"

Anyhow, after I have painted a picture for the first part of the game. I start looking for places to make moves with good cards or even crap cards if the situation is right. I find that I tend to get a lot of limpers later in the game when I am on the button who will fold if I come in and 3bet and will usually take down more than normal pots preflop than most. As the game progresses I stay fairly tight but get super aggressive until I start to see that my ruse has worn off. Some nights not so much, but others I run into people who are good and know when to put the breaks on me. By the time it is down to 4 or 5 players the image doesn't matter anyhow as everyone is playing great poker usually.

I tend to go in after the second break with one of the shorter stacks or at least mid stacked depending on the cards, but I tend to make the final table 90% of the time with usually a mid stack.

Does anyone else do these types of things? Does anyone try to paint a loose image in the beginning and then flip it around? I have been thinking about trying that here lately.

Source.