1. Welcome to the #1 Gambling Community with the best minds across the entire gambling spectrum. REGISTER NOW!
  2. Have a gambling question?

Post it here and our gambling experts will answer it!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Discussions in this section are assumed to be EV- as they are outside of the Advantage Play section. For EV+ discussions, please visit the Advantage Play section.
    Dismiss Notice

Poker STT: A lot of player left late in game

Discussion in 'Poker Forum' started by lonenlynobita, Oct 30, 2018.

1. There is a specific game dynamic that always throws me off my balance.

Imagine you're playing a 9-players single table sit-n-go (If it matters, I'm playing normal speed at ps). Normally, I would expect that by the time we reach 25/50 -- we are 5 handed (sometimes 6 but I would expect we will lose 1 halfway.)

However, once in a while, there will be a game where we still have basically everybody and everybody more-or-less have the same chip stack.

Normally for every hand, we will have more than 2 people going to the flop. Which means the pot is getting big relatively quickly. I normally will play tighter during this game state. However, this game state usually has 2 possible consequences that make me question my tactic.
    1. We're going to lose some players very quickly involving lots of big pots. Obviously, I am not knocked out because I am only going in with premium hands. However, by the time we reach 50 / 100, my chip stack will be very small compared to other players and it will be a shove fest and I normally lose. I am not sure if I should blame myself or blame variance.
    2. Sometimes, everybody would also realize the awkwardness and become tight as well. By the time we're busy being too tight, we will reach 50 / 100 and then we're like "Crap. Now my stack is getting too shallow." It also becomes a shove fest.
    I looked at my game log and I'm pretty sure I have 0% ITM rate when I reach this game state. Naturally, this frustrates me and I wonder what should I do at this game state. Is my tactic wrong?

I do not have a problem playing when everybody is shallow-with-equal-amount-of-stack but with less amount of player (ie. When we're ITM with 3 people left.) When there is less amount of player, I am successful at playing an aggressive game. I don't think I can play the same aggression when there are a lot of people because I just can't get people to fold.

One solution for me is to perhaps stop playing 9-max and play 6-max instead, but for the time being--that is not exactly an option for me.

Source.

2. Noodletheriver

Noodletheriver New Member

IT designer
    STT structures are so that most of your late round or bubble decisions will only be to fold or to go all in . A simple Google search of "push fold strategy" should get you going. There are several apps that are available. I have seen free apps for mobile phones recently available that help train you to know when it's beneficial for you to fold or it's correct to get it all in .