1. Welcome to the #1 Gambling Community with the best minds across the entire gambling spectrum. REGISTER NOW!
  2. Have a gambling question?

Post it here and our gambling experts will answer it!
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Should we enforce our Rule #1 - Be Respectful ?

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Comments / Criticisms / Problems' started by Admin Team, Jul 26, 2016.

?

Should we enforce our Rule #1 - Be Respectful ?

Poll closed Aug 4, 2016.
  1. Yes.

14 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. No.

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. LarryS

LarryS Compulsive Liar Compulsive Liar

25 FACT

what a retard

2. OneArmedBandit

OneArmedBandit Active Member

FACT LarryS has taken off his location, hmmmm wonder why...because she he a Habitual Unemployed Liar
    Everyone else on this forum tells us where they are, why the secrecy

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  3. LarryS

retard...thats a lie....and how about contributing to this thread.

I never had my location up in the first place....so its a lie to say that I "took it down"

you are making my point....you should be thrown off...

4. Boz

Boz Well-Known Member

This OAB makes you want to root for Larry. Which even he will admit isn't easy. Where do these people like OAB come from?

By the way, I don't think Larry has even hidden the general area he is in.

5. LarryS

I posted mail from my california and nevada homes..leaving the cities off....but at least the state was shown.

comprehension was not one of OABs strong suits

6. OneArmedBandit

Boz

I've told you before stay out of my business

7. OneArmedBandit

STOP your lies, YOU stated last week that you were out of here... That's lie # 243,122,654 since you've joined here

8. LarryS

really. post my quote

9. Boz

Boz Well-Known Member

Oooohhhh I'm scared. Not sure what your business is other than what I assume is a lonely, broke old racist. Pissed that the world passed you by, a life filled with regrets that you try to justify each and every day. The world changed, you missed the chance to grab the golden ring and now know your end is coming. Yet you lie to yourself everyday, telling yourself you did it "My Way", just like Frank.

Sound about right?

10. Junket King

Junket King Well-Known Member Compulsive Liar

ABR Complusive LIAR Management
    Dear Admin

At the end of the day, IT IS YOUR FORUM, somebody other than the members is paying the hosting fees. No need for votes or polls.
    There is abuse, then there is outright childish stupidity.

Having setup and run my own board(s), the owner has the unilateral power to do what they want, if members don't like it, tough.

While you prefer to run a uncensored forum, obviously you will get disruptive arseholes pushing the boundaries. So long as the censorship doesn't become overtly anal and is applied equally, do what you deem fit. For those posts in question, don't not move them, rather press the delete button.

Fuck this 'show respect thing', some don't deserve it, in which case I would vote yes.

11. LarryS

I generally agree.If you own a mom and pop supermarket.....and everyday a homeless person comes in with the money he collected for the day to buy food.....but the guy smells so bad, you can smell him throughout the store, and customers leave immediately because of him...you as manager have the right to ban him from the store...especially if you give him fair warning that its going to happen if things dont change. As long as you dont ban him based on protected race, religion, gender etc. You dont need to take a survey.....just remove him from the store.
    So here we are....the board was going just fine......and then we have people with repeated antisemetic and or vulgar postings. Not even with cogent commentary attached.....just vulgarities. THIS is what has to be cleaned up.
    You know "you fuck your father in the ass" as the sole comment....is much different than referring to someone as a "manboy" in the context of a well though out argument for change that has a beginning middle and end.

I think the separate mirrored thread where the admin put these posts or the xxxx vs yyyy.....worked for a while, but then I think the admin got tired of it....because if you look at "wov is dying" thread..its filled with "you fuck your father" type posts from WON.

So if the admin doesnt want to have to keep up with this vulgarity segregation......he can make a rule that even the slightest insult is not allowed and thereby squash lively conversation. Or he can take care of the 3 people like the business owner took care of the smelly homeless man.

12. LarryS

its funny how WON can play the admin. He comes here and posts nothing but profanities......and instead of getting tossed..he helps cause a change in rules for everyone.

Junket King likes this.
  13. freddy

freddy Well-Known Member

He's already called for me to be banned.

The admins are in a tough spot in a way. I'm sure that when they said uncensored that they never dreamed of what we have now. If they do take action they will hear people say see I told you so. If they don't take action new members will be reluctant to join.

Will getting rid of the people whose sole purpose is to sabotage this board work or will others be sent to take their place? Hard to tell. We already have 3 WOV mods in place here and several cultists ready to fall on their swords for their hero.

Whatever the admins decide...good luck. Their decision won't please everyone.

14. Admin Team

Admin Team Administrators Admins

We have not started enforcing this rule yet, but there are a lot of misconceptions about it that we need to clear up before we start enforcing it. We've tried to address all of them below, but if we missed any, please let us know and we'll address it.

You would not need to research it. It would be up to us to enforce the rules based on this criteria. If the criteria were met, we'd simply move your post to the designated section. Or, of course, you will have the option of not insulting those you may think may be active members to avoid having your posts moved. Considering most insults here happen between active members, this is an easy one.

Correct and our community would gain an active member. If this criteria is abused, then we'll simply make it stricter.

Considering he's a public figure, if The Donald signs up without using his real name and without confirming who he is, then the insults about him could continue since we would have no confirmation that he's a member. If he were to confirm to us he were a member, then we would let you know when we moved your new insults about him to the new designated section.

That's fine. Feel free to correct members with supporting evidence without insulting them. Insults are completely superfluous to a discussion. A cogent argument about how a member is a hypocrite that points to their conflicting statements/behavior is not an insult.

A trickier one is calling someone "scammer". Just blurting out "You're a scammer!" will be considered an insult, but we won't consider something like "You're a scammer because you are trying to sell a Keno System that does not overcome the house edge since [evidence]..." as an insult because it's a characterization supported by evidence that may protect our members, and the target will have the opportunity to refute the evidence.

Members won't be the judges of whether they've been insulted. We will. So it won't matter what a member "feels". If you respectfully point out a member is a hypocrite with supporting evidence, and they have the opportunity to refute it, all in a respectful exchange without lobbing insults, then that's fine. However, if this happens in a thread that has nothing to do with the member, then this exchange may be moved to the Off-topic Section.

The world is not black and white. "You fuck your father in the ass" is an insult. "You bang your 12 year old sister" is an insult. Calling someone a "hypocrite" and supporting that characterization is not an insult.

An insult is an insult. An insult isn't someone saying something another member doesn't like. At the end of the day, we aren't deleting the posts, so we may choose to err on the side of caution and move posts we judge as being "insulting" to the new designated section. This will also give us the opportunity to "undo" such a move if we make a mistake or change our minds.

Again, it's not about how members "feel". It's about whether the insult was directed at them, directly or indirectly. A thread mocking fat people will be tolerated, but if in that thread, that mocking starts getting directed at an active member, then that's where we will draw the line. If our site becomes flooded with more non-gambling related thread that mock folks than actual gambling-related discussions, then we may create a new non-public sub-forum of the Lounge for such discussions so that they don't clutter the rest of the site. We'll play it by ear based on how the site evolves as we've been doing from the start.

No, not at all, because one doesn't need to insult someone to have a spirited debate. Again, insults are completely superfluous to any debate and add nothing to a discussion.

No, that's not an insult, not even an indirect one. Raising a question about someones motives is not an insult.

That's an insult.

We're including "indirect insults" to give us more leeway in terms of being able to move insulting posts from disruptive users who may attempt creative ways of insulting members without doing so "directly". It's to preempt what happened with the Off-topic Posts getting moved to the Off-topic section, where members started including an on-topic sentence before going on an off-topic rant to try and avoid having their posts moved.

Again, we will be judges of what is an "insult". Sure, we'll take flak for it as folks will disagree with us, but we don't know of a single forum community where the Admin team doesn't receive flak for decisions they make. In our case, that flak should be minimal since we won't be deleting posts, closing threads, or banning members.

If "less spirited" means less "fuck yous", then we believe the quality of discussions will go up. That's a good thing. But this new rule does not mean members cannot point out the flaws in other members' arguments as long as they do so respectfully.

At the end of the day, it's impossible to set a hard and fast rule that covers all insults that would be acted upon, and we may have to course-correct as we move forward and unexpected incidences arise, but since we won't be disciplining users nor deleting posts, we aren't too concerned with having to make those judgement calls.

If folks want to completely eliminate the risk of having their posts moved, then we suggest debating a member's ideas, instead of a member's personal qualities.
    We prefer to make room for them and move them to our shower room so they can clean up.

We disagree that the board was going "just fine". Most discussion are not gambling-related, the most popular thread is full of insults, and Advantage Players don't feel like endorsing us. That's not the vision we had in mind for GamblingForums.com.

If those vulgarities are directed at an active member, then we'll move them to the new designated section. If those aren't directed at active members and are of an off-topic nature, then they'll be moved to the Off-topic Section.

Calling an active member a "manboy" is insulting. Few can argue with that. But if the target is not an active member, then no action will be taken.

This was indeed making a difference in terms of keeping those threads clean, so we will be taking swifter and more aggressive action once we enforce this rule. If a member is continuously being disruptive and forcing us to work overtime, then we will hand out sanctions to get them to stop so we can focus on more productive areas of the site.

Those aren't the only two solutions. As explained above, we would simply be moving actual insults to the special designated section so that no one has to get banned and our site and threads don't get filled up with vulgarities that derail threads and discussions.

It's not a change of rules since that rule has been here from the beginning, we just weren't enforcing it.
    Correct.

What folks say about us has little sway on our actions. We always try to keep the "big picture" in mind and what's best for our community as a whole. We've already been accused (falsely) of just about everything in the book, yet it has not had a single effect on our actions as those who have made such accusations are well aware.

We're fine with that as long as it helps grow our community and make it more productive and appealing to gamblers everywhere.

Folks, at the end of the day, nothing is set in stone and we're happy to course-correct as needed along the way until we have a formula that works in terms of making us the most influential gambling community in the world that is truly independent, comprehensive, and uncensored. We won't compromise our founding principles for anyone or any interests. We just want to create the best gambling community the world has ever seen.

Any other final thoughts before we start enforcing our Rule #1 again?

15. Spider

Spider Active Member Founding Member

Yes enforce it.. this place has become like Bebo!

16. LarryS

So is calling someone a hypocrite without supporting evidence an "insult". I would think so. Its an insulting term.
    and if someone is called a "jerK" with supporting evidence is that not an insult?

Is the admin going to be weighing the validity and weight of supporting evidence.

What about calling someone a "troll".....is that an insult.

what about a "self serving narcissist" with or without supporting evidence....is one an insult...and another not?

what about "socially backward"......where a litany of examples have been put forth as examples in the past for certain people......each time its used do all the examples have to be listed? Because after all a new person reading it may not have seen the posts that explain the use of the term/

seeing what "wov is dying" thread has been allowed to turn into.....with vulgar posts that have nothing to do with the topic.....and vulgar language that has never been used before on another level from the founders of the thread.........I dont have much confidence in an admin controlling "insults" that appear on 100 threads.....or even 10 threads. I have not posted there for a while....and cant bring myself to do so with the horrid condition that exists there now. And that is the intent of WON and AXHOLEWOLF.......won uses hideous vulgarities, and AXEL crys that there is too much vulgarity. A perfect example of people coming from another board to disrupt a perfectly reasonable thread on this board. A thread that brought many viewers to this site.....repeated viewers. Totally torched by people from another board.

The mom and pop food market could indeed put in a shower and a washer and dryer for the one customer THAT STINKS and take away floor space from the regular customers that enjoy shopping there and enjoy the selection. Eventually you loose customers who dont enjoy the reduced selection..they dont enjoy the change.

that is a choice the owner has. Its an illogical choice......but there is an old saying.............."The boss may not allways be right......but.....the boss is...........THE BOSS"

17. Wizardofnothing

Wizardofnothing Well-Known Member

Let's. Not forget that fingerfuckmefreddy started with the insults or I would have never come over - your boy started all this and now can't handle it- you aren't as bad as him as you post some valid points he is just a total taint licker

18. LarryS

yeah this guy deserves the "shower" accomodation.

god help us.

no one...and I mean now one has been as vulgar as this guy.....and allowed to continue.....and then Houston we have a problem.....we need to start enforcing rules

the admin used to proclaim that the lack of strict rules set this site apart....but that was when reasonable people roamed the plains

now a couple unreasonable people show up...and instead of ridding us of them....we all must accomodate their level of vulgarity with the newly enforced rules

19. Admin Team

Admin Team Administrators Admins

All of those will depend on the context. Like we mentioned earlier, if members don't want to risk having their posts moved to the new designated section, then we recommend not testing the line because we may err on the side of caution and move any posts we feel are insulting an active member to the new designated section.

Let's not forget the purpose of reinforcing this new rule: to increase the quality of the discussions so that they don't get derailed with personal attacks, and to clean the site up to make it more appealing to more folks so that we stay true to our "comprehensive" founding principle. We never delete posts or close threads or limit any gambling-related discussions in order to stay true to our "uncensored" founding principle. As for the accusations regarding us being in bed with WoV or any other past or present gambling community, they are unfounded and completely false because we are 100% independent and don't have to answer to anyone, except our members. That's how we stay true to our "independent" founding principle that ensures we don't compromise any of our principles or rules in favor of any special interests.

As explained previously, our hands got tied when members started including an on-topic sentence when insulting other members in order to keep their posts from being moved to the Off-topic Section. That's how the insults got out of hand in that particular thread. The enforcement of this rule will fix that loophole because it will apply to any posts that insult an active member anywhere outside the new designated section.

That's precisely what enforcing this rule will fix.

We don't consider members here to be "from another board" or outsiders in any way. Once someone registers on this site, they become a full-fledged member of this community and have the same voice as any other member.

If a member doesn't enjoy the change that doesn't allow them to insult other active members and start flame wars, then there isn't much we can do about that. Our responsibility is to the majority of members, not the outliers, so we always have to keep the "big picture" in mind as it is impossible to please 100% of members.

If we are wrong, or if anything we introduce ends up having a negative impact on our overall community, then we have no problem apologizing for it and backtracking. We have no ego attached to our administration of this site. The choices we make are always what we believe will help make this community prosper. Nothing more. Nothing less. That is our responsibility as the Admin team.

We aren't accommodating anyone's vulgarities, we're simply moving the vulgarities away from the public eye to increase the quality of discussions and make the site more appealing to more folks. We firmly believe all members have something to contribute, even members that may be considered "disruptive". It's just a matter of channeling their contributions in a way that allows them to actually add value to the community.

If a member has only been insulting other active members until now, then the enforcement of this rule will move their future insults out of sight, and they will have to find more productive ways of contributing. That's how our community as a whole gains with the enforcement of this rule.

20. OneArmedBandit

To the Admins

It's your home do what you want to do, very simple